Mail opens at startup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB
I have noticed that when I first turn on my iMac and sign in with my password the desktop picture comes on and after a second or two my mail screen comes on and new messages show up. Is this suppose to happen or is there a setting that will allow me to choose what shows up first? Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When you say…"First turn on my iMac". Are you actually booting the iMac…or are you waking it from sleeping?

If the iMac was sleeping…then any apps that were open when it went to sleep…will still be open when it is "woken up".

- Nick

M

MacInWin

And even if you are rebooting, if you have it set to open apps that were open when it was shut down, they will. When you shut down, you'll get a dialog that has a checkbox that asks if you want to reopen the apps on the next start. Make sure that is Unchecked if you don't want to reopen apps.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you say…"First turn on my iMac". Are you actually booting the iMac…or are you waking it from sleeping?

If the iMac was sleeping…then any apps that were open when it went to sleep…will still be open when it is "woken up".

- Nick

It happens when I boot it first thing in the morning, doesn't do it when wakes up from sleeping.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And even if you are rebooting, if you have it set to open apps that were open when it was shut down, they will. When you shut down, you'll get a dialog that has a checkbox that asks if you want to reopen the apps on the next start. Make sure that is Unchecked if you don't want to reopen apps.

Thanks, I will look for the checkbox next time I shut it down.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can also right click (or option click) on the Mail icon in the Dock - Options and make sure Open at Login is not selected.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can also right click (or option click) on the Mail icon in the Dock - Options and make sure Open at Login is not selected.

Thanks, just checked it and it wasn't selected.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks, just checked it and it wasn't selected.

This may be related to what bobtomay suggested. You can also go to:

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Users & Groups
- Login Items tab

This should give you a list of items that may be auto-starting on login.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Just shut it down, unchecked the box and that seemed to have fixed it. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.