iPad purchased from eBay controlled by some company

Reaction score
I purchased a 1st gen iPad Mini on eBay and when I received it it was already configured (no set up needed). I didn't like this so I did a reset and when going through the initial set up I received this screen:

IMG_0780.JPG

The listing said nothing about this and I will be taking action but I wanted to know if there is a way to break this link between this company that used to administer the device? I googled but found nothing, perhaps my word selection was poor. I can't see how this would not be possible since you basically destroy any second-hand use of the device if it cannot be unlinked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just send it back to whoever you purchased it from. If you paid with Paypal, you should be able to recover your purchase price. I wouldn't fool with the iPad at all. You can't even be sure that it wasn't a stolen item sold on eBay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Just send it back to whoever you purchased it from. If you paid with Paypal, you should be able to recover your purchase price. I wouldn't fool with the iPad at all. You can't even be sure that it wasn't a stolen item sold on eBay.

Definitely. I'd be mad enough myself to go the extra mile and contact the company on that screen to rat the guy out.

Reaction score
You tried contacting ARES holdings? There's probably nothing sinister going on (unless it's stolen) but I wouldn't risk it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.