how to remove my info from iMac

Reaction score
I recently got one of the new 27" Retina Macs. It is super slow, must be restarted continually to load web pages and occasionally after starting the Mac again, it won't accept key strokes from the keyboard so you can't put in the pass word without another shut down and restart.

I need to return this to Amazon. How do I wipe all my info. There are no discs that came with the Mac, so how do I restore it to Factory settings?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
- Boot into the Recovery Partition (command + r).
- Launch Disk Utility.
- Do a Secure Erase of the internal storage.
- Reinstall the OS.

Fingers Crossed this is understood!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Assuming it came with Yosemite yes that will do it. One further step I suggest, after going into Disk utility, select the hard drive and run Verify Disk to make sure the disk is okay, and then continue.

As everything will be erased from the drive, make sure you have a backup. From your description you may have some app causing the problem. This will mean installing everything from new, rather than copying over. Did you have many apps on the iMac?

OP
style0
Reaction score
Assuming it came with Yosemite yes that will do it. One further step I suggest, after going into Disk utility, select the hard drive and run Verify Disk to make sure the disk is okay, and then continue.

As everything will be erased from the drive, make sure you have a backup. From your description you may have some app causing the problem. This will mean installing everything from new, rather than copying over. Did you have many apps on the iMac?

None, it's brand new and running poorly. I'm returning it. I'm afraid this new 27" Retina configuration has too small a support system for the Retina graphics which causes the slow downs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.