Apple replaced macbook battery and not full capacity

Reaction score
So i picked up my Macbook Pro Retina Mid ,2012 from the Apple store today after they took in for repairs, needed a new battery and a new screen, all under Extended Apple Care. Anyways turns out the battery replacement is 8 months old. 0 Cycles however design capacity is 8460 mAH, and once its fully charged i'm only getting 8262 mAh so 97.8% of design capacity

Should i return to the Apple store and complain ? P.S my extended warranty expires tomorrow. (left it too late)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyways turns out the battery replacement is 8 months old. 0 Cycles however design capacity is 8460 mAH, and once its fully charged i'm only getting 8262 mAh so 97.8% of design capacity

Should i return to the Apple store and complain ?

I think that the actual capacity of individual batteries varies. So some variation should be expected. Whether 97.8% is acceptable or not I'm not sure I can say without more data.

I'm assuming the replacement battery works better then the former battery…and since the battery was replaced via Applecare…in a way...the replacement battery was free.

So…better working battery + free = :):)

If you had actually paid the full replacement price for the battery $199 + tax…then I would certainly expect a brand new battery with 100% of design capacity left.

Bottom line. I'm guessing 97.8% of design capacity with zero cycles is certainly much better than the previous battery. But it if REALLY does bother you that the replacement battery is not 100%…then sure…if it's worth the trouble & inconvenience…take it back.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.