Mac Pro 2,1 2008

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (retina 5K), 27" 2019
At about 4am this morning I was woken by the sound of my Mac's fans running. I came down stairs to find the Mac on, even though it had been in sleep mode during the night!!!! When I tried to turn it off I saw, on the screen, 2 pop up messages stating that USB devices were drawing too much power so had been disabled. The mouse is unusable, I have unplugged everything else, turned the machine off and on again, at the mains twice, doing an SMC reset and so far no response. The only culprit may have been the printer, which was inadvertently left on, but this has now been disconnected. Since I have no way of communicating with the Mac what can I do? Is it a case of taking it apple where I live? That's if they will still support it, which I doubt. Currently, the fans are screaming at me and my only option is to turn it off at the mains. I'm writing this from a tablet

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The mouse is unusable…

Since I have no way of communicating with the Mac what can I do?

Are you saying this because the mouse isn't working…or no USB devices aren't working?

If so…have you tried all of USB ports (front & back)?

Do you have any bluetooth devices you could use?

Is it a case of taking it apple where I live?

That's if they will still support it, which I doubt.

Like you mentioned. If Apple Stores in the UK are similar to here in the US…Apple won't work on a computer this old.

Currently, the fans are screaming at me and my only option is to turn it off at the mains. I'm writing this from a tablet

Can you see anything on the display? If not…it's possible the video card could have gone bad. If no video or bad video…remove the video card & reinstall…see if this helps.

If no change…remove the video card again…but this time do not reinstall. Restart the computer…see if the fan problem stops.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.