Freeing up storage space

Reaction score
Can you please give me some advice on

- Completely deleting any Apps that I no longer require.

- How to locate the big chunk of audio that's showing as stored on the flash drive, so's I can relocate it to the internal solid state drive, where I have ample available storage.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2558-06-25 at 04.40.46.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Give this thread a read. It has recommendations for some relevant software as well as things to consider when deleting things from the drive.

The discussion focuses on deleting files from the "Other" category but the same principles can be applied to any type of file.

OP
S
Reaction score
The thread, and recommended file size software has helped enormously. One more question though....

Part of what I'm doing involves have an App cull. Is deleting Apps as simple as dragging them to trash and emptying it thereafter?

I seem to remember there's more involved, but that's an old and distant memory. In Yosemite, has it got any slicker?

Again, thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sorry, I should have answered that in my previous post. How apps are deleted depends partly pen how they were installed. Have a look at this post.

There are some third-party tools for doing this. One of them is AppZapper. There are others and I haven't used enough of them to decide which is best. Perhaps others can chime in on that score.

C

chas_m

Broadly speaking: if the app has no ability to alter the system, then simply dragging it to the trash is sufficient. There will be a tiny pref file left behind, but it doesn't have any effect and is too small to chase down.

Complicated apps that mess with the system usually need to be properly uninstalled using the method recommended by the developer. Or if you're obsessive-compulsive about the tiny pref files, then something like AppZapper is both effective and fun at removing those little bits as well as the main app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.