2nd Generation

Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering when you guys think the 2nd generation macbook pro is going to be released. I want to get a macbook pro, but do not want to have to return it cuz of problems and overheationg and all that stuff.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I think if you bought one now that you would not have any problems with it, and if you did apple would fix them, or there would be a fix available for download. I do not know when the next generation macbooks will be out.. I would say with in a couple months (I expect it to be out by september next year) but I don't really know.

OP
W
Reaction score
By second gen, that just means that it will have no problems right? or it will be different?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
why don't people wait until leopard? 2nd gen is bound to come out by then and its a new operating system. new hardware, new system.

OP
W
Reaction score
when is that supposed to be released?
i have no computer, thats why i want a macbook pro..
im on my dads pos dell :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
yes but! leopard would be free instead. if you really need it you should get it now, then by then youll have the $$ to get leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I would guess earliest Leopard would be out might be MacWorld 07 but probably closer to mid-2007.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
WhiteYfz said:
By second gen, that just means that it will have no problems right? or it will be different?

the second revision usually clears up any problems that might be found in the first generation. "it will have no problems right?" no it may still have problems just like anything else you buy ranging from mechanical pencils to a bentley
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I will buy a Macbook when they get all the dual booting issues cleared up, add a Dual layer burner, and make a size smaller than that monster 15.4". I played on one at CompUSA today and while its really nice I can't see lugging that monster to school, on a plane, or anywhere easily. A 12" or 13.3" widescreen model would be golden.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
techster82 said:
I will buy a Macbook when they get all the dual booting issues cleared up, add a Dual layer burner, and make a size smaller than that monster 15.4". I played on one at CompUSA today and while its really nice I can't see lugging that monster to school, on a plane, or anywhere easily. A 12" or 13.3" widescreen model would be golden.

What do you mean 'lugging'? That thing is, like, 1 pound, and my 15.2" PowerBook G4 travels fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Size. Sure the weight is great but the thing is just so big. I want a laptop to be as small as possible since I don't use it as a desktop replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying One Soon...
techster82 said:
Size. Sure the weight is great but the thing is just so big. I want a laptop to be as small as possible since I don't use it as a desktop replacement.

Then wait for the Intel iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While the intel ibook may be great, I would rather have a Macbook Pro in the above size. They will have faster processors,more options and I have no doubt they will come out with one soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
I'm no Apple rep, so I obviously don't know for sure, but I have a strange feeling that the delay on the recent stock they just received was due to small fixes on the initial stock of MBPs. Keep in mind though (search for posts by me if you want to read it), that chances are these problems only occurred in less than 1% of all Apple MBPs that shipped. For every one problem you have here, I have no doubt that there's probably 100 other MBPs that went out that had no issues. Keep in mind that they have already sold tens of thousands of these things, and there's (in comparison to the number of items shipped) only a handful of problems here. There's posts here about offices, for example, receiving 32 of these things, each one without problem.

I know it's not the same thing, but in college we were taught about the life of software, and it's evolution. Each Release Candidate (RC) comes w/ a number of bugs, through which each successive RC tries to fix. However, each new RC comes w/ a slew of new bugs. Now I would imagine that hardware QC (Quality Checking) is much more thorough and intensive as you can't just release a patch for hardware that will redo some sodering, add a capacitor, etc., and therefore there will be fewer things to fix, and most of the "issues" are going to be tempermental things that only exist in a handful of items. I used Klipsch ProMedia speakers as an analogy for this, and even though they're obviously not the same company, I like to equate the two in terms of the quality they produce. Both Apple and Klipsch are at the high-end of what they do.

Companies like Apple release new generations of items not to address issues, but rather to refresh their product line and maintain a level of sales. Now with their new generations, I'm sure they attempt to address the supposed issues, but that's not their primary concern (take the iPod for example... they're on their 5th generation. I'm sure each generation has had its known issues, but there's PLENTY of people who have 1G iPods that are still running strong).

Anyway my point is, there's no reason, IMO, to wait for the next generation of MBP, unless you're hoping for a hardware improvement, bundled Leopard, or fixes. Chances are the issues others are experience won't affect you, and there's nothing saying that the next generation of the MBPs won't come w/ a new "issue" that needs to be addressed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.