G4/ protools to G5 upgrade

Reaction score
I'm running protools 6.4 with a digidesign 003 on a powermac G4 with mac OS X 10.4 (?) operating system. My question is whether or not I will be able to upgrade my computer to a G5 and be able to reuse my protools hardware/ software with it. The G4, after running fine all winter, was then shut down normally and moved to a different location and became completely unresponsive to the power button; no lights, no sound, no fans etc. Also, without the protools software cds, would I be able to transfer the software from the G4 onto a G5 directly through the hard drive? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

Both the G4 and G5 machines are no longer supported by Apple and considered obsolete. Some of our members are familiar with them and might be able to offer some help, however, it might be a good idea to move up to something more modern.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.