104.9 Tb free on MBP

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Today I glanced at my Macintosh HD icon on the desktop and saw .....Tb free instead of ..... Gb free. I selected Get Info and this is what I saw.

Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 11.07.13.png

Last edited:
OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So I tried using Disc Utility to Verify HD and it was found OK.
I tried removing and putting back the Mac HD Icon.
I tried resetting the NVRAM and SMC.
It then occored to me to check storage in About This Mac and I saw this;

Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 13.19.35.png

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I tried re indexing the HD by putting it into the Privacy window of Spotlight preferences then removing it forcing spotlight to re index the HD which took about one hour but alas the icon still showed the 104.9 TB free, until I tried Get Info again.
This time the correct storage amounts were displayed. However the Storage bar graph in About this Mac still shows the above.
It should show the same as Mac OS X HD in the display (this is my CCC copy).
I am at a complete loss now. Disc Utility displays the correct amounts and did from the start and for some reason Time machine will not run, just stuck on "Preparing Backup."

Reaction score
The drive clearly has some issue and perhaps a visit to an authorized Apple repair facility is in order.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes S.SubZero, clearly a problem. I have however managed to correct it but I am still completely in the dark as to what caused it.
After re indexing the HD etc, etc I did not think to Get Info again, was just looking at the bar graph in About this Mac but as soon as I closed the About this Mac window and tried Get Info again the storage reading returned to normal. So back to the About this Mac window again and all normal, phew!
I did have to erase and reselect a drive for Time Machine as it simply would not advance past "Preparing Backup" but now full backup complete and all well.
It's times like these that I am so thankful for the CCC bootable backup.
Still I cannot understand what caused it other than a utility I am trialling which downloaded last week called iStat menus. It is the later version of Menu Meters a utility I had years ago.
It does have a memory reading as well as core temp, CPU activity, upload/download speed ect but I have been running it for a week with no issues before yesterday.
I think repairing permissions and re indexing did the trick in the end so I hope my experience may be of value to someone else.
Incidentally I live in Bali Indonesia, no Apple Genius Bars here, not even a licensed reseller so we are on our own.;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Incidentally I live in Bali Indonesia, no Apple Genius Bars here, not even a licensed reseller so we are on our own.;D

Rod. I'm not so sure the Apple folks at my local Apple Store are "genius's" either. But I guess they're better than nothing!;)

Since you're in Indonesia (with no Apple Store or licensed reseller). I'm assuming new Apple computers sold in Indonesia come with some sort of Applecare warranty. If you did have a "serious" hardware problem (like a logic board) that was covered by Applecare..what would your options be? Ship it somewhere for the repair?

- Nick

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes that's exactly it Nick. In my case it would be shipped to Jakarta. This in part is how I am managing to run a part time Mac consultation and software repair service.
For those expats who's devices are out of warranty or Apple Care I also have a friend who does mechanical repairs like replacing HD's, installing RAM, repairing home buttons on iPhones or broken screens etc. Between us we manage to offer a pretty good local service as we are in a kind of technological backwater here as far as Apple support goes. Lots of other good points about living here of course.;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.