Problem with Mid-2012 MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hi! Yesterday, my MacBook Pro mid-2012 that I got last year in january suddenly became very slow, almost to the point where it was unusable. Today, it didn't even boot. I tried using windows on my computer(which I already had), and since that worked perfectly, I figured it must have been something wrong with OSX, so I tried re-installing it. That didn't work, and it says that OSX can't be installed on my computer. Why does this happen? Does anyone know how to fix it? If my grammar is bad then I'm sorry, but english is not my first language.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am a bit confused. Do you have a bootcamp dual boot set up with OS X and Windows? What version of OS X did you have installed? How are you trying to re-install OS X?

I need more information.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hard to say as you have not provided operating system however first up go into Recovery Mode (Command + R on boot) and if succesful go into Utilities and run Repai Disk. Also how full is the hard drive and how much free space on the OS X partition?

OP
V
Reaction score
I am a bit confused. Do you have a bootcamp dual boot set up with OS X and Windows? What version of OS X did you have installed? How are you trying to re-install OS X?

I need more information.

Lisa

Yes, I have a bootcamp set up, and I'm using the newest version of OS X. I formatted my OSX partition and re-downloaded the OS, but when I try to install it, an error message saying that I can't install it on this machine shows up.

OP
V
Reaction score
Hard to say as you have not provided operating system however first up go into Recovery Mode (Command + R on boot) and if succesful go into Utilities and run Repai Disk. Also how full is the hard drive and how much free space on the OS X partition?
I have already tried that, but thanks for the suggestion. I have a 500 GB HDD, my windows partition takes up 120 of those so I have 380 GB available.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
With the limited amount of information you've provided, my best guess is that your hard drive is dying and may need to be replaced. We see this quite often where the Windows partition is working but the OS X partition is not. Hopefully you have been making backups so as not to lose data.

OP
V
Reaction score
With the limited amount of information you've provided, my best guess is that your hard drive is dying and may need to be replaced. We see this quite often where the Windows partition is working but the OS X partition is not. Hopefully you have been making backups so as not to lose data.

That's what I feared. I guess I'll have to deliver it back where I bought it then, and hope they can fix it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.