10.5.8 to mavericks

Reaction score
I have a friend that needs to update their business iMac.
They are currently running 10.5.8 on a 2009 iMac.
They only want to go to Mavericks, because Yosemite does not support a couple programs they need to run.

It's my understanding that they must go to Snow Leopard first, and then can go to Mavericks, but it seems difficult to get a hold of a Mavericks install.

A quick search of Snow Leopard install disk bring up this:
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

The best I can come up with when searching for a Mavericks install is this:
Apple Mac OS x 10 9 Mavericks Bootable USB3 USB2 Flash Drive Installer | eBay

Any recommendations on whether or not this is the best solution? Or if it would work at all? Would this Snow Leopard disk and Mavericks USB drive install work as just upgrades, or would they require a clean install?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's my understanding that they must go to Snow Leopard first, and then can go to Mavericks, but it seems difficult to get a hold of a Mavericks install.

You are correct. First a Snow Leopard install DVD needs to be purchased…and Snow Leopard installed. Then do an update to 10.6.8. Then access the Mac App Store is possible.

As you mentioned…getting Mavericks (10.9) is difficult…since it is no longer available from the Mac App Store. As far as the eBay Mavericks option…I'm not really sure the legal status of these sales.

Another option could be to upgrade the OS to Mountain Lion (10.8).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The digital download of Mavericks oiginlly always remains the property of the Apple ID that downloaded it. When it is time to update using Software Update you may well need the Apple ID password, which you will never get from an online seller.

They got it for free from Apple, and whacked the OS on a thumb drive and now want to make a profit out of it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Figured I should steer them away from the USB drive off eBay.
Thanks Nick for the suggestion of Mountain Lion, since it's still available for purchase through Apple Store.
Turns out 10.7 Lion is actually going to be the perfect candidate to run everything they need...for now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Turns out 10.7 Lion is actually going to be the perfect candidate to run everything they need...for now.

10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion cost the same. If I was choosing between the two...I would definitely choose 10.8. Of course if installing 10.8 will make some older software on this computer incompatible...then go with 10.7.

But then again...if this person was going to upgrade to Mavericks (10.9)...and Yosemite was too far. Then 10.8 would be the next best OS.

Whatever the choice...it will be a good upgrade from 10.5.8!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't know what 10.8 Mountain Lion would kill for them, but it was sure a better OS X than the Lion 10.7.x versions if it would work for them.

For some app compatibility, check out:
Application compatibility table - RoaringApps

but I don't think 10.5.x is included there anymore.

Reaction score
if there application is power pc they could only go to snow leopard did you verify if the app is power pc or intel to do this right click the application and select get info it will then display application under type then the words intel or powerpc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.