20 inch imac wont boot yosmite image

Reaction score
hey everyone, i am trying to image a 20inch imac in our office and have deleted the 10.9 os on the hard drive and am trying to copy the yosmite image to it but i get an error 32 and if i try to boot from the image it wont boot at all, is there a way to force it to boot or copy the image?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
hey everyone, i am trying to image a 20inch imac in our office and have deleted the 10.9 os on the hard drive and am trying to copy the yosmite image to it but i get an error 32 and if i try to boot from the image it wont boot at all, is there a way to force it to boot or copy the image?

If I'm understanding things correctly…you cannot boot the computer from that image. And the the Mavericks 10.9 OS should not have been deleted from the computer.

The process that should have been followed was:

- Don't delete anything from the computer.
- Boot the computer normally (OS 10.9).
- Download the Yosemite installer from the Mac Store
- Double-click on the Yosemite Installer…and let it do it's thing.

Easy.:)

If you somehow deleted the OS from the the computer (OS 10.9). I think that you're going to need to boot the computer into the Recovery Partition (two key combo of command + r)…then reinstall the OS (most likely Mavericks).

Then the computer will be back to "square-one" to start things.:)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
If I'm understanding things correctly…you cannot boot the computer from that image. And the the Mavericks 10.9 OS should not have been deleted from the computer.

The process that should have been followed was:

- Don't delete anything from the computer.
- Boot the computer normally (OS 10.9).
- Download the Yosemite installer from the Mac Store
- Double-click on the Yosemite Installer…and let it do it's thing.

Easy.:)

If you somehow deleted the OS from the the computer (OS 10.9). I think that your going to need to boot the computer into the Recovery Partition (two key combo of command + r)…then reinstall the OS (most likely Mavericks).

Then the computer will be back to "square-one" to start things.:)

- Nick

well i meant to erase everything, the issue is i cant get it to install 10.9 from apple it just says this item is temporarily unavailable when i put in my apple ID

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i meant to erase everything, the issue is i cant get it to install 10.9 from apple it just says this item is temporarily unavailable when i put in my apple ID

Again. Nothing should have been deleted from the computer prior to any OS install. When the OS installer does the installing…it replaces the old OS with the new OS.

Yes…OS 10.9 Mavericks is no longer available from the Mac Store. Only folks that downloaded it originally (when it was available) can still download it. For folks that never previously downloaded 10.9 Mavericks…it is not available.

As I mentioned above. The computer now needs to be booted into the Recovery Partition…and the "Reinstall Mac OS" button clicked. Then an OS will be reinstalled (I'm not really 100% sure which one).

Once the OS is reinstalled…then if you wish to install Yosemite…then reboot the computer...download Yosemite…and double click the installer.:)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
i dont want to make another thread so i will just use this one, first an update about the mac in the first post, i managed to get 10.9 reinstalled and then i fully upgraded it to 10.10 and it runs much better now!

now with that out of the way, a few months back i found a mid to late 2006 white imac missing its front plastic and hard drive caddy but otherwise complete,

well i took it home and put it into storage and thats where it sat until this past weekend, i was there where i was keeping it and decided i would take it home and see if it worked or not

well i hooked the screen back up and threw some ram in and plugged it in and.....it worked! i was surprised, so i went to the closet and grabbed a spare hard drive and hooked it up and started it up and it booted windows 7 just fine,

now i want to install lion on this machine and my question is this, should i just grab my external cd/dvd drive and install 10.6 and upgrade from there or is there a way i can boot a lion installer and start fresh?

thanks for all the help and advice!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
now i want to install lion on this machine and my question is this, should i just grab my external cd/dvd drive and install 10.6 and upgrade from there or is there a way i can boot a lion installer and start fresh?

Depends if the Lion installer is bootable or not. If you are not sure…then it's probably NOT bootable…since this is something you would have had to do special…and I'm assuming you would remember making a bootable Lion installer.

If the Lion installer is not bootable. Then you will have to install 10.6 first. Then copy the Lion installer to the hard drive. Then install Lion.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Depends if the Lion installer is bootable or not. If you are not sure…then it's probably NOT bootable…since this is something you would have had to do special…and I'm assuming you would remember making a bootable Lion installer.

If the Lion installer is not bootable. Then you will have to install 10.6 first. Then copy the Lion installer to the hard drive. Then install Lion.

- Nick

thats how i did it on my other one, then again i did make a lion usb on transmac for windows, i will have to try and make one on a mac here at the office

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have no issues making a bootable Lion installer (folks usually use a usb thumb drive)…go for it. Then you can skip the 10.6 install.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
How you do this will depend upon two things:

1. Exactly which iMac is this? According to the MacTracker database there some of the iMac's available at that time could onlu go as high as 10.6.8 and others could go to 10.7.5.

2. Assuming that you have a model which can take 10.7.5, do you have a legit copy already. If not, and you've never downloaded it before you'll have to install 10.6.8 to get access to the App Store or download Lion from another Mac.

BTW if you like tinkering with older Mac the MacTracker app is a great resource to have around.

OP
L
Reaction score
How you do this will depend upon two things:

1. Exactly which iMac is this? According to the MacTracker database there some of the iMac's available at that time could onlu go as high as 10.6.8 and others could go to 10.7.5.

2. Assuming that you have a model which can take 10.7.5, do you have a legit copy already. If not, and you've never downloaded it before you'll have to install 10.6.8 to get access to the App Store or download Lion from another Mac.

BTW if you like tinkering with older Mac the MacTracker app is a great resource to have around.

it can take 10.7.5

EDIT here this is what shows up with the serial number http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-2.16-20-inch-specs.html

OP
L
Reaction score
ok downloaded a copy of snow leopard and put it on my usb thumb drive and installed it on the imac and its running perfectly now, now i just need to upgrade to 10.7.5

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok downloaded a copy of snow leopard and put it on my usb thumb drive and installed it on the imac and its running perfectly now, now i just need to upgrade to 10.7.5

Whatever copy of Snow Leopard you downloaded is NOT legal! Snow Leopard was ONLY distributed on disk!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.