Magic Mouse v Magic Trackpad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 16GB RAM 500GB SSD OS 10.9.5; iPhone 6
Hello. I've been using a Logictech trackball for years but the scroll wheel has stopped working. I may get another but am curious about Apple's magic mouse and magic trackpad. Any lovers of one or the other? What do you think the pros and cons are of each?

This will be for my Mac Mini.

Laura

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What do you think the pros and cons are of each?

Fundamentally..one is a mouse…and one is a trackpad. They are totally different input devices…and so they are really not comparable.

If you prefer a mouse…get the Magic Mouse. If you prefer a trackpad…get the Magic Trackpad. It's really a personal choice.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you've been using a Logitech TrackBall for years, get the Magic Mouse. The Magic Trackpad is a great device but somewhat hard to adjust to especially if you've been using a mouse for any length of time. Both devices are not inexpensive but you do have time to try whatever you purchase out before returning it for a refund.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I started out with a Magic Mouse on my Mac Pro. I do a lot of detailed movements in Photoshop and Premiere Pro. The magic mouse drove me nuts.

I switched to a Magic Trackpad and I love it. I will qualify this by saying I have a Macbook Pro that I use as a back up and I am very comfortable using a trackpad to manipulate various things in the above programs.

I have another co-worker who occasionally uses my Mac Pro to edit. He can not stand the trackpad. I have to reconnect the magic mouse for him to use.

If you have no experience using a trackpad you might not like it. As chascag suggested try one and return it if you do not like it. I suggest trying the Magic Mouse first and if you like it - great! The trackpad can be a new learning experience for your hand.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I"m with Lisa. Trackpads rule!

Just give it a week or so and you will be wondering why you ever used a mouse. Great with a dock that attaches the TP to the keyboard. Just Google.

The Apple Stote Australia sells this one so it may well be available everywhere through Apple:-

http://store.apple.com/au/product/H3443ZM/A/twelve-south-magicwand

Reaction score
Mouse for sure. The trackpad is incredibly easy to use but the mouse is just less 'fidelly'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I have alternated between the mouse and the trackpad. I like the trackpad for the easy use of gestures, but find the mouse easier for selecting text. The magic mouse was always too small for my hands so I have switched to a RAT 9 gaming mouse and use it along with the Apple track pad. There is no problem using both simultaneously!

C

chas_m

I was a heavy mouse person for a long time but once I got the Magic Trackpad I totally got it and now would find a mouse difficult to go back to (except maybe the Magic Mouse).

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to all for the input! Between this thread and research online, sounds like the Magic Mouse would not be for me. I was curious because it seemed half mouse/half trackpad but I think it sounds like it might annoy me--I switched years ago to a trackball because I didn't like mice and was starting to suffer with rsi.

I may give the trackpad a try, as I do have a MacBook Pro so expect the experience would be much the same, but seems another trackball may be wisest for preventing rsi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I too have RSI in addition to arthritis in especially in my right hand. I have a regular mouse on my Windows desktop and a magic track pad on my Mac Pro. I have to switch hands if I am using the Windows desktop (I am ambidextrous) because of the pain in my right hand, which is my worst hand.

The magic trackpad does not bother me. I don't know why but I can work a lot longer with it and no tired hand or pain.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have both a Magic Trackpad and an Apple Bluetooth mouse. I find myself using them both depending upon the task. I seem to be a bit more precise when using a mouse but use the trackpad for most tasks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I remember seeing a gadget that attached the Apple Magic Trackpad to the Apple keyboard so that it looked like it was an integral part of the keyboard. I can't remember who was selling it. Anyone know what I'm referring to?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could you have been thinking of the MagicWand

Edit: I almost bought one of these but decided I liked having the two gizmos separate so I could position them wherever was convenient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I have a Magic Mouse and I absolutely dislike it. I only used it for a couple of days after I bought it and then I just kept it in case I decide to give it one more shot later on, but I can tell you that my MacBook Pro's TrackPad is ten times better, in my opinion, and a Magic TrackPad that is even bigger in size would be even better!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Overall I prefer the Magic Trackpad to the Magic mouse. You can do so much more with it gesture wise. I really like it. The mouse is good for some things but especially in Yosemite seems a bit touchy playing the one Facebook game I play.

For any kind of Gaming I use my Logitech G700 gaming mouse. No Apple mouse for advanced gaming will do for me.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I too have RSI in addition to arthritis in especially in my right hand. I have a regular mouse on my Windows desktop and a magic track pad on my Mac Pro. I have to switch hands if I am using the Windows desktop (I am ambidextrous) because of the pain in my right hand, which is my worst hand.

The magic trackpad does not bother me. I don't know why but I can work a lot longer with it and no tired hand or pain.

Lisa

Thanks for this bit, Lisa! Work provides my MacBook Pro but I don't use the trackpad much because the machine is most often at my desk connected to an external monitor, keyboard and trackball so I don't know for myself (yet) how long term trackpad use would affect me. I'm thinking I may just get the trackpad for a trial run (I have always liked my trackball but I guess I must just be in the mood for something new :) ).

Laura

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Laura, Which Trackball have you been using? My favorite of all time is the Logitech Trackman Marble.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Laura, Which Trackball have you been using? My favorite of all time is the Logitech Trackman Marble.

Dennis, Are you sure you haven't been digging around in my junk closet again? I think I had one of them for years.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dennis, Are you sure you haven't been digging around in my junk closet again? I think I had one of them for years.

I still own 2 of them and they work like new!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My all time favorite was the CoStar Stingray. Which I think we used on our LC II. It was one of the few trackballs/mice that my wife and I both agreed upon. We have different sized hands and this worked nicely. It was constantly getting gunked up though and after you cleaned the rollers a few times it would fail.

I used a Kensington Orbit for the longest time. I liked it because it worked week if you happened to be left handed. Some of the Logitech models I've used have been decidedly right handed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.