4K monitors suitable for Macbook Pro ?

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here and considering buying either a used 2014 Macbook Pro (retina) or a new Macbook Pro (with retina screen).

I would want to connect it to a 4K monitor but it doesn't seem that Apple make a 4K monitor.

Does anyone have a list of 4K monitors that are known to work with the 15.6" Macbook Pro retina ??

(The only other option would be to buy a iMac 5K AND a Macbook Pro - rather expensive !!)

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
(The only other option would be to buy a iMac 5K AND a Macbook Pro - rather expensive !!)

Why would you need to buy two desktop machines? The iMac 5K (recently reduced in price) should suffice, unless you just like to throw money away. ;D

OP
C
Reaction score
I think you slightly misunderstood.

I'm not suggesting buying two desktop machines.

Either -

1. Macbook Pro and (non Apple) 4k / 5k monitor

or

2. iMac 5K and Macbook Pro

However I've just seen this (attached) which seems to say that the Macbook Pro retina (with the Radeon R9 M370X) will support a single monitor of up to 5120 x 2880 at 60Hz (which I think is 5K)

Personally I would prefer the flexibility of a laptop and monitor rather than a desktop (so long as I can get a cordless mouse for the Macbook Pro when I'm using it with the monitor)

Does anyone know which 4K / 5K monitors are compatible ??

EDIT....This further complicates matters -

Dell UP2715K 27-Inch 5K monitor....
This monitor requires two DisplayPorts (for 5K support), a mini-DisplayPort (for 4K support This will not run at the native resolution) / so basically it requires dual DisplayPort inputs to drive its 5120x2880 panel at full resolution. Thunderbolt 3 and Display Port 1.3 will support 5K on a single cable. Mac users be aware "Dell's upcoming 5K display uses dual DisplayPort 1.2 cables for connectivity but that no current Macs appear to support the setup and even if they did performance would likely not be ideal" The current DisplayPort 1.2 specification used over Thunderbolt 2 on Apple's latest Macs simply isn't capable of handling the bandwidth necessary for 5K video over a single cable. As a result, no current Mac, including the Mac Pro and Retina MacBook Pro models that do support 4K displays, can currently drive a 5K external display «
16 Jan 2015 by PCBuyIT Limited

Apple's information (below) therefore seems misleading.....

Macbook Pro output resolution.png

Last edited:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no one keeping a list of all the 4k displays and which devices they're compatible with.

You can also have a read here.

With the MacBook Pro you would be looking for a monitor with displayport that supports SST @ 60 hz.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.