how to read mac formatted hard drive (protected with password) in Windows Environment

Reaction score
Dear all,

How to read mac formatted hard drive (protected with password, say: Mac OS Extended (Journaled, encrypted) formatted) in Windows Environment?
I know how to read mac formatted hard drive(without password protection) in Windows Environment by using HFSExplorer.
I have tried to search the web, it seems that there is no method to do so unless use Mac OS devices to open it.

Anyone know please share your method.

Thanks in advance.
Percy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the hard drive has been encrypted with FileVault or any other encryption scheme and is password protected, you first need the password. After that HFS Explorer should work to read and write to the drive.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, the hard drive was encrypted by Mac disk utilities, and I know the password of it, but I can't see any drive by using HFS explorer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know if HFS Explorer has the ability to read a drive that has been encrypted. What I was referring to (maybe not clear enough) was first decrypt the drive (you need the password to do that) and then use HFS Explorer to read it from Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.