New SSD for MacBook Pro Early 2011. Best way to install OSX Yosemite?

Reaction score
Hi All,

As the title states, I just purchased an OWC Extreme Pro 6G for my sister's early 2011 MBP (currently running Yosemite). I just have a few questions before I begin the installation:

1. I want to have the recovery partition installed on the SSD just like how it is installed on the stock HDD. Here is how I think I do this...
- Attach SSD to MBP with USB. Clone HDD onto SSD. Format SSD with Disk Utility. Clone HDD image onto SSD. Which cloning program do you guys use for this usually? Also are the above steps in the correct order? Am I missing something key?

2. Must I enable TRIM with OWC's SSD? I don't think I do since OWC claims they have their own garbage collector, and TRIM does not need to be enabled. Please correct me if I am wrong.

3. Once I have the HDD cloned on to my SSD, should I then install the SSD (taking out the HDD)?

***I want to perform a reformat on the new SSD. All of her files will be backed up onto a big USB drive. I want perform a fresh install of Yosemite on the SSD. Do I now (after the SSD is installed and booted up) perform a reformat? How do I go about performing this reformat? I am a PC guy and just need some direction hah! Command + R on boot? I would like the recovery partition installed as well on the SSD. This is where I am most confused.***

What do I do for the main Apple apps? iLife?

TL DR:
New SSD. Want a recovery partition installed with Yosemite, then I will bring back all files with a USB.

Thank you all in advance.
Best,

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
1. I want to have the recovery partition installed on the SSD just like how it is installed on the stock HDD.

There's nothing special about the Recovery Partition. It's a generic partition. To install the Mac OS on your SSD (and have a Recovery Partition automatically installed)...just do Internet Recovery::)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

- Nick

OP

Reaction score
There's nothing special about the Recovery Partition. It's a generic partition. To install the Mac OS on your SSD (and have a Recovery Partition automatically installed)...just do Internet Recovery::)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

- Nick

Nick,

Thank you for the reply. I will go about the recovery partition using Internet Recovery. One question for you. Were my above mentioned steps the way you would install a new SSD and reformat it? Is there anything you would add?

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,

Thank you for the reply. I will go about the recovery partition using Internet Recovery. One question for you. Were my above mentioned steps the way you would install a new SSD and reformat it? Is there anything you would add?

Thanks!

If you need SSD install instructions...either follow the SSD install video at OWC...or use the install procedure at ifixit.com.

As far as the formatting. You do this after the OS is installed (via Internet Recovery). After the OS is installed...the SSD may already be formatted. But of it isn't...then

- boot into the Recovery Parition (command + r)
- then launch Disk Utility
- do the formatting

Finally. Then you do the cloning from your old HD.

- Nick

OP

Reaction score
If you need SSD install instructions...either follow the SSD install video at OWC...or use the install procedure at ifixit.com.

As far as the formatting. You do this after the OS is installed (via Internet Recovery). After the OS is installed...the SSD may already be formatted. But of it isn't...then

- boot into the Recovery Parition (command + r)
- then launch Disk Utility
- do the formatting

Finally. Then you do the cloning from your old HD.

- Nick

Cool! So let me get this straight. I can do the formatting while the SSD is plugged in via USB correct? Once it is formatted, then I will clone the OS from the HDD.

Which cloning program would you recommend? Will disk utility clone as well?

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think Disk Utility has a cloning feature.

Two very popular cloning apps are:

- SuperDuper
- Carbon Copy Cloner

* Nick

OP

Reaction score
I don't think Disk Utility has a cloning feature.

Two very popular cloning apps are:

- SuperDuper
- Carbon Copy Cloner

* Nick

Got it understood. So will I be able to clone while my SSD is plugged in via USB?

Once I have my stuff cloned, THEN do I physically install the SSD into the MBP and boot up?

Thanks for all of the help.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Got it understood. So will I be able to clone while my SSD is plugged in via USB?

Once I have my stuff cloned, THEN do I physically install the SSD into the MBP and boot up?

Thanks for all of the help.

That should work fine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Sorry I forgot to answer this one...but Slydude got it!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.