Should 4GB of RAM be enough for a macbook Pro?

Reaction score
My 2012 machine (Yosemite) is constantly starved for RAM. I've done numerous scans (Kaspersky, Spyware, etc. ) and run CleanMyMac 3 with moderate improvement. I've also set it to close all applications and start fresh with only Chrome opening at start. Despite all this, CleanMyMac shows that I typically have only 500MB free and sometimes less than 50. (As I type this with only Chrome, my password manager, Messenger and System Prefs open I have only 26MB available.)
Is a RAM upgrade my only choice?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My 2012 machine (Yosemite) is constantly starved for RAM. I've done numerous scans (Kaspersky, Spyware, etc. ) and run CleanMyMac 3 with moderate improvement.

The first thing you MUST do is get rid of all these "crapware" programs!!! They REALLY are not necessary. And in some cases are problematic & detrimental to the smooth running of the computer.

I've also set it to close all applications and start fresh with only Chrome opening at start. Despite all this, CleanMyMac shows that I typically have only 500MB free and sometimes less than 50. (As I type this with only Chrome, my password manager, Messenger and System Prefs open I have only 26MB available.)

Yosemite handles ram differently. What you want to learn more about is "Memory Pressure". Which can be monitored in Activity Monitor. You may also want to read this (the Memory Pressure section specificially):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464

Is a RAM upgrade my only choice?

Regardless of the question mentioned above. 4gig of ram would be my absolute minimum. 8gig would be better.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

You didn't mention what 2012 machine you have, but I have a 2012 MacBook Pro and I put 16GB of RAM (the max) in it. It's nice never having to wonder if a problem is being cause by lack of RAM, since it never ever is. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You answerd the question about being starved for memory. Avoid CleanMyMac and similar crapware and give Kaspersky's a big miss also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I didn't notice what OS X version the OP is running nor how much RAM is installed or what Activity Monitor is showing, but as suggested lose the the misleading crapware, and if needed do some web searching and as some recent Mac articles on memory will state, basically if your Mac is taxed and it has RAM available, the installed RAM is not even being used efficiently, and definitely not if there's some left spare but not doing anything.

Some will have to think about that for a while probably before it makes any sense. And probably still click the feelgood utility to release and free up all that "free unused RAM". Right!!! ;)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I really object to the constant referral to CleanMyMac as Crapware. I see this reference on this forum frequently but i have yet to see any supporting evidence to warrant it. I started using CleanMyMac when it was first released in 2009 and have it installed and regularly run on two MBP's. I have never had a problem that could be attributed to it. On the other hand the frequently promoted Onyx app has the potential to do much more damage if it is not used exclusively on default settings (as advised). I would happily put MacKeeper and others in the crapware basket but I really think dismissing CleanMyMac as such is totally unwarranted unless you can point me in the direction of a legitimate complaint.
As an old program regression tester I can say that before you can point the finger at a program glitch/fault you must first eliminate user error.
I would like to see someone in this forum download CMM 3 run it and see if it does cause any problems. I can't find any and over the time I have been using it on this 2013 MBP it has quickly and conveniently removed hundreds of Gb of unneeded files. I will admit it has some unnecessary bells and whistles but the core program does exactly what it claims to do and I have always found MacPaw to be a reputable company.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
My simple answer woud be .... NO ... 4 GB is not enough, no matter what memory optimisation techniques Apple came up with.
At least 8 GB and the more the better.

Cheers ... McBie

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It "should" be, but it's really not with any modern OS except maybe some of the Linux variants.

The question is, however, are you seeing any impact in the way your machine is running or are you only looking at the usage patterns via CMM, Activity Monitor, etc... and worrying about all your RAM being in use?

While Yosemite seems to be using 4GB on boot up (at least on all the Macs I have here), unlike Mavericks when I had to keep a memory manager in the Menu bar to manually free up memory, I've found Yosemite does a pretty good job with only 4 GB on board. Good enough that it was a rare occasion I noticed the spinning ball due to lack of available memory and was able to remove the memory management tool.

If your Mac has upgradeable memory slots, then I'd say without a doubt, upgrade. If not, I'd suggest you quit looking at the memory use and just use your computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I really object to the constant referral to CleanMyMac as Crapware. I see this reference on this forum frequently but i have yet to see any supporting evidence to warrant it.

I started using CleanMyMac when it was first released in 2009 and have it installed and regularly run on two MBP's. I have never had a problem that could be attributed to it.

You've had what seems to be a good experience with CleanMyMac. I bet I can do some internet searches and find folks that have had bad experiences.

I bet if I did a 2nd internet search…I could find folks praising MacKeeper as well!;) And here you go. A positive MacKeeper review…that even includes a MacWorld link that calls MacKeeper a "gem"!

The No-fluff Mackeeper Review: Is It Worth It? - Macnetized

So BELIEVE ME. If I can find positive reviews for MacKeeper…I can find negative reviews for CleanMyMac.;)

On the other hand the frequently promoted Onyx app has the potential to do much more damage if it is not used exclusively on default settings (as advised).

There are so many things in life that have the "potential" to do damage. For example:

- Don't run with scissors.
- A poorly driven automobile can do lots of damage.
- razor blades
- lawn mower
- power drill
- a hammer
- household products like ammonia, bleach, toilet cleaners.
- etc. etc.

All of these things have the "potential" to damage. But if used properly…they are completely safe. Same thing goes with "Onyx".:)

Onyx is free…it works well…and if used on the "auto" setting everything is fine.:)

I would happily put MacKeeper and others in the crapware basket but I really think dismissing CleanMyMac as such is totally unwarranted unless you can point me in the direction of a legitimate complaint.

Like I mentioned above. If I do an internet search…I can find folks that praise MacKeeper.

Onyx has been around since 2003. Yes…2002/2003!!! The developer has been providing Onyx for free for 12-13 years!

If nothing else. Why spend $39.95 for CleanMyMac 3…when Onyx is free??:) And heck…better yet. Rather than spend $39.95 for CleanMyMac 3…throw the developer of Onyx a small $5-$10 donation! Onyx is a great app…it works well…and the developer has REALLY supported the Apple/Mac community for a LONG time!:)

- Nick

Edit: I wanted to mention one more thing. Maybe CleanMyMac isn't as bad a MacKeeper. But even so…I still wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.