WiFi Connected but can't get onto internet

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just having a problem getting onto the internet with my macbook pro (yosemite), though wifi is connected. All other computers can access the internet, but just not my Mac! have run diagnostics but apparently nothing is wrong. When I first turn the computer on, I can get onto the internet for about 10 seconds before it stops, which leads me to think it is a software thing rather than hardware. No other programs eg. spotify or skype work either. Any ideas?

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
which leads me to think it is a software thing rather than hardware. No other programs eg. spotify or skype work either. Any ideas?

I agree that it's most likely software. Try some generic things:
1) Start in Recovery mode and use Disk Utility to repair the hard drive and permissions:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314
2) Examine your /etc/hosts file (may have to use Finder's Go menu > go to Folder)
Why? because a modified hosts file can prevent normal internet access (prevent DNS access)
Here's what a typical one looks like:
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.