Internal Disk Full: How to delete "other files"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2012, Yosemite
I have a MBA 2012/Mavericks that has 96GB in other files in storage. How can I view these files and determine which to delete?

Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
"Other" is a broad category that includes any files on your system that do not fit into other categories. You're going to need some third-party software to see exactly what files are included. Here are a few utilities that may help sort this out.

WhatSize
DaisyDisk

I'm sure there are others but the names escape me at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a MBA 2012/Mavericks that has 96GB in other files in storage. How can I view these files and determine which to delete?

Hello - the 'Other' category in the storage bar graph represents all files that are not included in the named categories - take a look at this Discussion for a more thorough explanation and suggestions to reduce its size.

If not already on your computer, you might want to obtain a copy of Onyx HERE (OS X version specific, so download the right one) - this app can 'clean out' a lot of caches and unneeded files and probably would make a 'dent' in your 'Other' category - do a before and after comparison.

Also, I hope that you have backups of your computer, e.g. Time Machine and/or a cloning program (I use Carbon Copy Cloner) - and don't just start deleting files if you do not understand their purpose - you might end up disabling your computer. Good luck. Dave :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
We also have our own sticky thread on this "other" category here.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2012, Yosemite
@slydude, raddave, bobtomay - thanks. I'll check out these options and see what I can find. Really need to free up some space.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Best way to free up space on that machine is to replace the hard drive with a larger one and then transfer everything over. There are 1TB drives that fit in your machine. Check them out at Other World Computing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.