Delete all google apps

S

sllewk

Hi I have tried to delete all google apps and when I get to Google+ Auto backup I am informed it cannot be deleted because the app is still open> I have not got a clue on how to close it! Running an Apple mac mini late 2012 on Yosemite. That means any Google app will not delete at all. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi I have tried to delete all google apps and when I get to Google+ Auto backup I am informed it cannot be deleted because the app is still open> I have not got a clue on how to close it! Running an Apple mac mini late 2012 on Yosemite. That means any Google app will not delete at all. Thanks.

According to this discussion on Google's site:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/picasa/Dh8J4HfdQ28

There should be an app in the menubar up top that resembles a pinwheel. Left-click on it and you should be able to quit it. Then trash the app. Also be sure to remove it from your login items, found in System Preferences » Users & Groups.

EDIT: after quitting the app from the menubar, rather than dropping it in the Trash, use an uninstaller that can search for any "helper" files that may get left behind otherwise. I prefer to use AppCleaner. It's free and does a more thorough job than most.

OP
S

sllewk

Hello Lifeisabeach, I thank you for your quick reply. I have come to the conclusion that removal of all things Google hinge on Google+ auto backup. I do not know how to open that software, I see evidence of it but accessing it is, for me, impossible. I have left clicked it, I have right clicked it, I have requested via the drop down panel that it opens but all to no avail. I simply cannot get into it to turn it off. I have put all other google things in the trash and emptied it but the icons remain in my Apps store. Those app icons will not transfer into the trash, click and hold, slide it onto the trash icon but as soon as it is released the icon dashes back into the Apps store. I think a trip to the local Apple shop is called for on this one as I am not a computer buff at all, at least I can almost put my computer in my pocket. Sluice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think a trip to the local Apple shop is called for on this one as I am not a computer buff at all, at least I can almost put my computer in my pocket. Sluice

Unless one of our members comes along who is more familiar with Google's apps, that may be best. It "should" be easier to remove than this (there is no uninstaller that comes with that app?), and no way I'm going to install it to come up with a better one.

Where the devil did Sluice come from??? Sllewk

Auto-correct, my guess.

OP
S

sllewk

Hi Lifeisabeach, I think your strategy regarding all things google is the very best attitude to adopt and sadly google do not put an uninstaller in their software. Had very similar problem with Kaspersky on one of my Windows machines but a local Windows tech supplied a solution. It was simple after I had the piece of software to do the job. Any-one know something similar for Google???? Should any one need that piece of software I still have it, knowledge is power - or so it is said! Sllewk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Lifeisabeach, I think your strategy regarding all things google is the very best attitude to adopt and sadly google do not put an uninstaller in their software. Had very similar problem with Kaspersky on one of my Windows machines but a local Windows tech supplied a solution. It was simple after I had the piece of software to do the job. Any-one know something similar for Google???? Should any one need that piece of software I still have it, knowledge is power - or so it is said! Sllewk.

Try rebooting in Safe Mode, then use App Cleaner to "uninstall" Google's app. That should do the trick.

Reaction score
have put all other google things in the trash and emptied it but the icons remain in my Apps store. Those app icons will not transfer into the trash, click and hold, slide it onto the trash icon but as soon as it is released the icon dashes back into the Apps store. I think a trip to the local Apple shop is called for on this one as I am not a computer buff at all, at least I can almost put my computer in my pocket. Sluice

AppStore? You cant delete anything from there. Are you sure you don't mean Launcher? Or Finder?

OP
S

sllewk

Google.

Hi "Senior Member", my attempt to get into 'Safe Mode' I am not sure about but in my attempts I have deleted Google+ Auto Backup. I do not know who you are but never the less it led me in the right direction and it has now been deleted! Thank you very much indeed.

Reaction score
His name is Lifeisabeach, see the name in blue?

OP
S

sllewk

Hi Cradom, Sorry I meant the Launchpad not App Store. Still not quite up on things Apple and it's terminology. Sllewk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hi Lifeisabeach, I think your strategy regarding all things google is the very best attitude to adopt and sadly google do not put an uninstaller in their software.
You're in England, aren't you...

Hi Cradom, Sorry I meant the Launchpad not App Store. Still not quite up on things Apple and it's terminology. Sllewk.
Yeah, that terminology will get you. ;)

OP
S

sllewk

Google.

Tomacsh, Sorry but yes I am from England, surely not everyone can live in USA!!! I do not consider it a bad country to live and yes I know the UK is not as big as your country, Sllewk

OP
S

sllewk

All things Google.

HI, please accept my heartfelt thanks for all there help I received on my query. Without that help I would still be struggling with the problem. Keith in ENGLAND.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.