Powerbook G4 screen problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G3 Lombard, Powerbook G4 A1095 1.33 GHz
So, my Powerbook G4 has a screen fault where, if the screen is not rotated all the way to the back, the top third of the screen is the only part that works; the middle third is totally blacked out, and the bottom third is whited out (it's weird). Rotating the screen back as far as it can go will result in the screen working perfectly. I've replaced the display data cable, but that has made no difference. Any ideas what other things I can do to fix this/what the likely cause is?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Replacing the display cable would have been my guess. Another thing to check are the places where the new cable connects. If the plugs or ports that the display cable attaches to are loose or damaged…then this could result in a loose connection.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Replacing the display cable would have been my guess. Another thing to check are the places where the new cable connects. If the plugs or ports that the display cable attaches to are loose or damaged…then this could result in a loose connection.

- Nick

Tried reseating it again, didn't make any difference. Ports didn't seem loose or damaged.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried reseating it again, didn't make any difference. Ports didn't seem loose or damaged.

Thanks for checking.

To get the inconsistent video output as mentioned in post #1 (with various display angles)…sounds to me that something is loose. Otherwise video output would be consistent (either no video, normal video, etc.).

Since the display cable was replaced (assuming the replacement video cable isn't bad in some way). I think that it's one of those things that only you can carefully examine to see what's up. Maybe there's something wrong with the display panel itself.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for checking.

To get the inconsistent video output as mentioned in post #1 (with various display angles)…sounds to me that something is loose. Otherwise video output would be consistent (either no video, normal video, etc.).

Since the display cable was replaced (assuming the replacement video cable isn't bad in some way). I think that it's one of those things that only you can carefully examine to see what's up. Maybe there's something wrong with the display panel itself.

- Nick

Always a possibility that there's a fault with the panel; really hope not, because it was enough of a faff to change the cable, and panels are rarely cheap in the UK.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Always a possibility that there's a fault with the panel; really hope not, because it was enough of a faff to change the cable, and panels are rarely cheap in the UK.

Yes…I'm sure getting access to replace the cable wasn't much fun. As a "DIY" person you probably know…all we can do is make our best guess at what's wrong…then replace suspected bad parts with good parts…then test. And we keep doing this until we find the problem.

Of course with a very old Apple laptop like a Powerbook G4…one must be careful how much time, effort, and money is invested.

I'm not going to say…"Jeez Man…get a newer computer!" What I will say is…if you really like or need to use this Powerbook G4…it could be very possible to purchase a replacement model just like it for a small amount of money. Or at least purchase the parts needed (like a whole display panel for example).

I know that you probably want to spend as little money as possible. I guess it all depends how important it is to get this computer running.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was bought as a cheap project to learn Mac OS X on, and it probably would be cost-effective to replace the panel if I come across a sensibly priced one (when considering purchase price and the price of the parts I've already fitted - keyboard and battery.) It'd just have to wait a few months.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was bought as a cheap project to learn Mac OS X on…

I'm not 100% sure of your exact goals. But in case you're new to the world of Apple computers…depending on the exact Powerbook G4 model you have…max OS on it is OS 10.5.8.

The most current Mac OS version is 10.10 (5 versions newer). OS 10.5.8 or older may give you an idea of what the Mac OS is all about. But because it's a pretty old OS version…it's certainly going to fall short of the abilities of newer OS versions.

...and it probably would be cost-effective to replace the panel if I come across a sensibly priced one (when considering purchase price and the price of the parts I've already fitted - keyboard and battery.) It'd just have to wait a few months.

I have a few Mac/Apple projects like this as well!;) I happen to have a 17" Powerbook G4 that needs a new display (the display is cracked). I got it for $50 about a 1-2 years ago. If & when I come across an inexpensive (or maybe even free) replacement display. I'll "dig it out"…and get it running.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two other thoughts.

1. Is this your 2nd Apple laptop? Your Mac-Forums profile says "Powerbook G3 Lombard".

2. You can attach an external display to this Powerbook G4 to use it (you don't have to use the Powerbook G4's built in display). I've done the exact same thing with the 17" Powerbook G4 I mentioned I have with the cracked display.

-Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is running 10.5.8, yeah. I'm aware that it'll be a lot more limited, but I did want to play around with a Powerbook G4 anyway. It was a very reasonable price considering that it was complete, even with the faults it had (most of which I've now rectified) - everything now works perfectly bar the screen (although I will get a proper charger to replace the cheap third-party one it currently has at some point.) Put it this way - I've seen units advertised as totally dead and with smaller screens for rather more than this one cost me.

Yeah, I posted about the PG3 Lombard last year, but never did get around to trying to get a replacement logic board for it and it has stayed at the bottom of my queue. A member here did offer me a bottom unit replacement for it, but I never got around to taking them up on that, and this was a year ago.

As to the external display; I'll probably try that again now it has a keyboard that actually works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
If its a 15" and you are willing to pay the shipping from Canada, I'll give you a panel, or even a whole one that had a few bit removed from it.

The one I have available is a model A1095 from April 2004. The 2005 models have a slightly different panel.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Four months later... I've finally purchased an entire screen assembly (£20 with free P&P, which was pretty darn reasonable), and the issue is now resolved. The G4 lives to die another day! I damaged the Bluetooth board in the process, but that's hardly a disaster.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats on the repair! And yes…that was a great price for a complete replacement display.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Congrats on that, but I still have to say (since Nick is too nice a guy) "Geez louise, get a newer computer!" It's great that you got it running but 10.5.8 is to modern Macs what a Model T Ford is to modern cars -- most of the basic principles are the same but it really starts to diverge beyond that point ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.