Gave up on Mighty Mouse

Reaction score
Using a black Microsoft Intellimouse that cost $20. It looks funky because all my other mac stuff is white, but I kind of like that. and I think Mighty Mouse looks nice, but doesn't really hold up well in my hand.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What went wrong with your mighty mouse?

OP
T
Reaction score
I guess I just didn't like how it felt it my hand, having to lift my finger off left click to right click, and occasionally the cursor would go wild.

Reaction score
I have problem with my mighty mouse as well...I got problem while scrolling downward. Anyone had the same problem here? It's ok if i scroll it upward, it's smooth. But when i scrolled it down, it did not work very well and stucked. Any information will be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Try going into your system prefferences. I am sure that there is something in there that could help with your mighty mouse problems. It Helped with mine.

Reaction score
jenz said:
I have problem with my mighty mouse as well...I got problem while scrolling downward. Anyone had the same problem here? It's ok if i scroll it upward, it's smooth. But when i scrolled it down, it did not work very well and stucked. Any information will be much appreciated.

Thats happened to me a few times, it seems like its dust or some sort of particle that gets stuck in there. A friend of mine actually opened up my mouse and gave it a good clean but it happened again 3 months later. You can either check online for a way to clean it or just grab a microsoft mouse which is what i did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
jenz said:

Yes, this happened to me as well. The problem is there is no way to clean the MM. Apple recommends using a damp cloth on the scroll wheel as you scroll it, but that doesn't work all that well. Seems like the lack of a way to really clean it is a design flaw. I gave up on mine a while ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0, 1GB RAM, nvidia geforce 6600 256MB VRAM, 160GB HDD, 250GB HDD, Dell 2005FPW
I'm gonna give up on mine soon. I liked it at first, but then the scroll wheel started sticking, the side buttons are too sensitive and the left/right sensors don't work all that well.

Right now I'm looking for a comfortable 5 button mouse, once I fined one the MM is gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 2GB, 24" imac 4GB
jenz said:

Exactly the same as mine is doing now. Ive peeved off because my old one did this after about 4 months. I recenly brought a new one (about 2 months ago) and the same thing is happening.

We shouldnt let them get away with this. These mighty mouses arent cheap, and this sort of thing should be covered in the warrenty.

Anyone know who I should get in contact with to take this up with apple? Its the second one Ive had and the same thing has happend, and im not happy.

Reaction score
ive got a simple solution for all of you guys.

techinically there ISNT a way to clean out the mighty mouse, but you can.

but the mouse upside down in the palm of your hand so that the scroll wheel is facing the floor. with your other hand, well finger...move the scroll wheel back and forth while pushing down on the wheel with quite a bit of force. do this for bout 5-10 seconds and voila. ive had the same mighty mouse for about 6 months now. anytime it doesnt let me scroll down i put the sucker in its place by doing this.

Reaction score
Can't play WoW with a mighty mouse, plus it is expensive, so I never got one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
I played WoW with a mighty mouse. Idk its just personal feel, I love mine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
thadoggfather said:
I guess I just didn't like how it felt it my hand, having to lift my finger off left click to right click, and occasionally the cursor would go wild.

Do you have one finger? Generally your first two fingers go on the mouse...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
mynameis said:
Didn't it drive you nuts not being able to hold one mouse button while clicking the other?

That never bothers me a bit as I always lift my left finger and have for years. Maybe it's because I am a Musician and use my fingers a lot playing notes, but I always lift my left finger a bit. So the MM works fine for me in that way.

L

lil

I'll stick with my black Apple Pro Mouse, I don't mind having hit control for right click, for my laptop I use a silver MS 'Notebook' optical mouse.

The Apple Pro Mouse is just nice, adjustable click resistance, solid and it just works. I cannot say the same for the Mighty Mouse which is just to me, abhorrent. Hate the thing. It is to my mind a clear example of Apple's ego getting in the way, where they are still stuck up on the hill refusing to acknowledge two button mice at very least are better if you design them in a more conventional manner, rather than a hybrid single button looking thing that clearly shows someone just cannot swallow their pride. Get over it Apple, and design something that puts function over form, especially when it comes to a mouse!

It's a shame as the white Apple keyboard is actually very nice to type on. Certainly One of the best keyboards I have had the pleasure of typing on.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 2GB, 24" imac 4GB
Tried the upside down thing but hasnt worked.

I really think apple should do something about this. It looks like there are lots of people with the same thing happening, so it must be a fault with it.

Does anyone know a freephone number I can ring to get it replaced from apple (or even a non freephone. I dont want to ring apple care as they will probably charge me a bomb for it!)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.