Home Network Storage and Backup Config

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, kids and wife all on MBPs, iPad Pro 12 (I drew the line at iPhone!)
Greetings, Forum. Looking for some insight on reconfiguring my home network. Family keeps growing, hardware keeps expanding, iTunes Library going out of control, storage space running low and want everything backed-up. Yowsa.

So here's what we've got.
Two iMacs, three MBPs, three iPads, and some handhelds (iPhones, etc.). For storage, I'm sitting on a Pegusus R4 (3TB) and a LaCie 4TB EHD. There's also a 500MB small form LaCie. Wireless is Airport. We've also got Apple TV.

The Pegusus is connected to the "main" iMac via Thunderbolt and has been the local storage place for family videos, photos and is the backup target for the host iMac (I also backup the iMac to the Cloud though nothing is backing-up the photos and vids on the R4). The iTunes library is on the "main" iMac. The other iMac is backed up to the small LaCie. The 4TB LaCie isn't being used yet.

SO......looking for best config options to i) store iTunes, family vids and photos; ii) backup the two iMacs (and possibly the MBPs which are currently backing-up to small form EHDs?); and iii) access to music and videos from all units, including iPads.

One thought it to connect the new LaCie to the Airport via USB and have it store the back-ups for the two iMacs while moving the iTunes library, vids and pics to the R4. Or maybe swap that?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Neal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
One thought it to connect the new LaCie to the Airport via USB and have it store the back-ups for the two iMacs while moving the iTunes library, vids and pics to the R4.

Sounds workable. Don't forget that the new location of the Libraries is just one copy -- you still need a backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.