MacBook Pro running hot

Reaction score
had to force shutdown WOD..now it it SO HOT and wont complete a start up.It is a MacBook pro

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without any further information, no one will be able to assist. Which MacBook Pro do you have - model and year? Version of OS X it's running?

And your thread was moved here to the correct forum with a new title that makes more sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2008 MacBook aluminum, iPhone 6 plus 64gb, iPad 4 16gb, iPod touch 2(8gb),4(64gb),5(32gb).
had to force shutdown WOD..now it it SO HOT and wont complete a start up.It is a MacBook pro

well i dont know anything about what macbook you have, but if it is one you can easily open up. go ahead and replace the thermal paste with arctic silver 5.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
well i dont know anything about what macbook you have, but if it is one you can easily open up. go ahead and replace the thermal paste with arctic silver 5.

Even if this is a machine that's relatively easy to open that's not something I'd recommend first thing without knowing more information. If the Mac shut itself down that might indicate there is actually a heat issue. If the owner forced shutdown because they thought the machine was overheating when it actually wasn't that's a much different issue.

@ OP I can understand how one might have thought the system was overheating. My MacBook Pro generally runs in the neighborhood of 170 degrees fahrenheit. During some recent video conversions it ran at 200+ for most of a day. Don't know what the temps were that night. It certainly felt hot but never had an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2008 MacBook aluminum, iPhone 6 plus 64gb, iPad 4 16gb, iPod touch 2(8gb),4(64gb),5(32gb).
Even if this is a machine that's relatively easy to open that's not something I'd recommend first thing without knowing more information. If the Mac shut itself down that might indicate there is actually a heat issue. If the owner forced shutdown because they thought the machine was overheating when it actually wasn't that's a much different issue.

@ OP I can understand how one might have thought the system was overheating. My MacBook Pro generally runs in the neighborhood of 170 degrees fahrenheit. During some recent video conversions it ran at 200+ for most of a day. Don't know what the temps were that night. It certainly felt hot but never had an issue.

exactly, and thermal paste would fix this issue. a macbook should never run hot enough that you can significantly feel how hot it is. all im saying is if its a few years old it WILL benefit the macbook regardless of whether or not its overheating.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
a macbook should never run hot enough that you can significantly feel how hot it is.

Sorry not true.:( In fact the complete opposite. There's hardly an Apple laptop/notebook that I've used since at least 2006 that hasn't gotten hot. And in many cases…so hot…that it can be uncomfortable holding it on a lap.

In fact…my 2011 MacBook Pro on my lap at the moment is quite warm/borderline hot.

Some folks will even suggest that's why the term "notebook" came to be. Since laptops sometimes get so hot that they cannot comfortably be held on the lap.

If the OP's MacBook Pro has parts that use thermal paste…and it is older. Replacing the thermal paste could help some.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for reiterating the point I was trying to make Nick. Even if this is a machine the OP could take apart and apply thermal paste to there are lots of things that could go wrong in the process -- especially fi the OP is not comfortable around the tight spaces of a "laptop".

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The unknown with the OP's post is…"SO HOT" can mean many things to different people. As we've asked for many times in many threads in the past…post temps. Even if the temps got so hot to possibly do damage. We know the computer would auto-shutoff as a protective measure.

My MacBook Pro can get "SO HOT" that it turns my legs red…the fans are at max. rpm…and the exit temps are borderline burning my legs. But this is very normal…since I know that it gets this way when I'm gaming.

But if I'm surfing Mac-Forums, Craig's List, or eBay…then it's quite cool.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.