handbrake app won't open

Reaction score
I have recently updated to maverick. I can't get downloaded handbrake app to open. Any ideas??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What version of Handbrake are you trying to use?

If you upgraded to Mavericks recently. Maybe your version of Handbrake is too old…and you need to download a newer version.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What happens when you try to run Handbrake? I just installed the latest version yesterday and haven't experimented with it much but the previous version ran fine. I'm on Yosemite so I know there's one that works with Mavericks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (retina 5K), 27" 2019
Hi, I'm picking up on this thread as I have Yosemite 10.10.5, but I can't find a version of Handbrake that will open on my Mac. I would like to copy my daughter's entire DVD collection to a hard drive. Can anyone help with that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Version 0.10.1 works for me on Yosemite, although there is an update to 0.10.5 which I haven't downloaded yet.
https://handbrake.fr

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
The latest version of Handbrake for both Mavericks (which I have) AND El Capitan (which I also have) is the same: 0.10.5

This version works fine on both Macs.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Version 0.10.1 works for me on Yosemite, although there is an update to 0.10.5 which I haven't downloaded yet.
https://handbrake.fr

Thanks for the speedy reply. I have found Handbrake 10.5, downloaded it and tried using it on several of my daughters dvds and....all the films are unwatchable. I don't know if I have done something wrong but, not being a techie type, much of the menu is Chinese to me! I have made sure the file endings are MP4, which seems to be the general standard by which most devices will work, but this makes no difference. Since everyone raves about this prog, I am keen to understand what, if anything I can do succeed in ripping my daughters dvds so I can put them on a hardrive and free up lots of space on the shelves!! Any help would be appreciated.
I have an early 2008 Mac Pro that has been rebuilt to the latest spec and runs
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ian, thanks for the reply. I have now found 10.5 but none of the dvds I have tried to rip have come out usable. They are completely pixelated. Any ideas?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The interface for that programs can be a bit confusing. I avoided it for quite some time before starting to use it.

Are these DVDs from commercially produced DVDs? If they are copy protected that might be the issue. If I remember correctly Handbrake does not allow you to transcode copy protected DVDs.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
This was going to be my very next point, but you beat me to it, Slydude. I've been away the last 24 hours.

The DVDs should be privately owned (i.e. made by the owner) or copyright-free if commercially-purchased.

I understand that there are ways around this, but I, and I imagine the forums, would not be willing to participate in any practices which violated the law.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are these DVDs from commercially produced DVDs? If they are copy protected that might be the issue. If I remember correctly Handbrake does not allow you to transcode copy protected DVDs.
That's correct, Handbrake will not rip a commercial copy protected CD or DVD. There are programs that will, however, since we operate under the laws of the US we can not discuss this any further. Check the laws of your locale (UK) to make sure what you're doing is legal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.