Office Updates - syncservicesagent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPro mid 2012, 2.7Gh Intel i7, OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite, 16Gb, iPhone 5, iPad, Windows laptops
How can I turn off the syncservicesagent so that Office updates will install? I've tried activity monitor using quit, force quit, hangup, kill, ... others and it seems to turn itself back on instantaneously before I can hit the try again button. This is suppose to be done by the install program but it doesn't work correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try installing the Office updates in Safe Mode. You must have have something else running in the background that causes syncserviceagent to be active. Are you by chance running any anti virus software?

OP
kdqlx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPro mid 2012, 2.7Gh Intel i7, OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite, 16Gb, iPhone 5, iPad, Windows laptops
SyncMate is loaded but I never used it, perhaps that?

How would I re-run the Office update in Safe mode? I don't even know where the installer is located, some microsoft path somewhere I'm sure. How would I boot into safe mode?

Then how would I call the installer?

OK core services under library for the installer, ok boot into safe mode I'll try it. Please advise. Thx. I'll let you know.

I always have this issue, perhaps I should uninstall sync mate also since I've never used it??

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To start in safe mode, reboot and hold down shift until you see the Apple logo on the screen. Once in safe mode, simply open any Office app and check for updates through it (I'm away from my Mac but there is a way to check for updates through each app).

OP
kdqlx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thx, I'll let you know how it works out.

OP
kdqlx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Worked great, booting into safe mode allowed me to clean up a few other things I'd forgotten about, old logins/user names, turn off guest acct, etc.

Seems like all is working now.. Hope it stays that way.

Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.