Rescuing old Apple Works files

Reaction score
Just discovered some old backup discs with many Apple Works files which I would like to convert to some other format (pdf, word, etc.) that will operate on my OS X. Have located a computer with Snow Leopard so can open the Apple Works files and save as whatever. My question: is there any way to do batch conversions - open a group of AW files and save as some other format, one step???

Thanks.

oaxcarmen

C

chas_m

There was at one time -- MacLinkPlus Deluxe did this -- but it is long gone, and I'm not sure there's any way to obtain a copy (even illegally).

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks,Chas. cnet shows download available for MacLinkPlus Deluxe for Mac (US$80) but nowhere have I found for it a specific reference to batch converting AW files to any other. Seems to talk about PC to Mac more than anything else. I had MacLink years ago but didn't use it much and at some point it no longer worked - it was not the Deluxe version and don't remember if it was Plus. Sad how many good things are no longer available.

Are you sure it will specifically open on Snow Leopard multiple AW files and batch convert them to something that I can then use on OS X?

C

chas_m

As that is precisely what I used it for (converting AW text files to Word), yes.

But I would avoid CNET downloads like the plague, they lard up their downloads with malware -- and as I say, that's not a legit download anyway -- MacLinkPlus Deluxe is not available for sale or download, it was discontinued in 2007 or so, so whatever CNET is trying to get you to download, it's not likely to work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacLinkPlus_Deluxe

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks even more, Chas. I didn't know cnet is "a bad guy". But with your confirmation that MacLinkPlus Deluxe will do the job I need, I will start checking with friends who have lots of varied equipment and may have good luck to find something.

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As I recall, AppleWorks came with it's own version of MacLinks, maybe a lite version, but a converter just the same, and I'm sure one could even save most AW's text files for Word and/or most text apps on it's own maybe.

PS: If the AW files are straight .cwk text files, they can be opened with a drag and drop onto TextEdit, TextWrangler and a few other app icons, no translator app needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You might be able to make use of Libre Office to make the conversion. It's a free download. It will "take over" as the default program. I deleted it when I was done converting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.