how to use spreadsheet in mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I used to use lots of spreadsheet functions with PC. Now with mac, what should i do?
Thanks!

Hello Michelle - welcome to the forum! :) You might want to first provide us some information: 1) What Mac computer are you using (model/year); 2) What OS X is installed; and 3) What are your spreadsheet needs on the Mac (professional, personal, infrequent, daily, etc.)?

The Apple iWork Suite which includes Pages, Numbers, & Keynote are similar to Word, Excel, & PowerPoint in MS Office - Numbers may be enough and will import Excel spreadsheets. If you need to run Excel on your Mac, then there is an OS X version or you can run Windows on your computer and use the MS version - these are some options, so let us know what you need to do? Dave

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you Dave!
Mine is macbook 2014pro, OS X 10.10.2
My use of spreadsheet is for personal record keeping.
Thanks again!

C

chas_m

1. Buy a copy of Office for the Mac (or Office 365).
2. Install and open Excel.
3. Use that.

or

1. Buy a copy of Numbers from the Mac App Store ($20 I believe)
2. Spend some time studying the Help file: Numbers is very different than Excel.
3. Use Numbers for your spreadsheet needs

or

Depending on the nature of these personal records, some other kind of program, such as a database, might be a better option.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually, if Michelle has a 2014 MacBook Pro, she should already have a free copy of Pages, Keynote, and Numbers. No need to purchase MS Office 2011 or Office 365.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
Actually, if Michelle has a 2014 MacBook Pro, she should already have a free copy of Pages, Keynote, and Numbers. No need to purchase MS Office 2011 or Office 365.

Just came to say the same. Also, OP, I'm using Numbers and Pages exclusively now, as I didn't want to buy MS Office when I switched over to the Mac. Personally, I find Pages and Numbers to be just fine. A few tiny difference for how they handle certain equations, but I figured that out (some googling and readings posts scattered around here, actually) I was able to figure it out in a few minutes.

Mind, I understand for some "power users" Numbers might not be enough, though I haven't found anything yet that I can't do in Numbers and Pages that I did before. In fact, for me, I find some things easier to do in Numbers and Pages (for example, I like, a million times more, the way handles embedded tables in a document). And as always said above, you can import Excel files, no worries. You can also save your Numbers files as Excel files too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
When I switched to OS X (ok maybe I shouldn't say switch as I run a Windows 8.1 gaming system along with my iMac) I still did a lot of Excel with work and school so I needed 100% compatibility so I just went with Microsoft Office on my iMac also. I might play with Pages and Numbers someday though.

M

MacInWin

One of the variants of Open Office may be all you need, too, if Pages isn't for you. LibreOffice is a popular variant that should be totally compatible with your Excel files. Last time I looked LO was still free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.