Macbook Pro big Issue

Reaction score
Hi to everyone,

I have a macbook pro, I don't really know when it was made, but it comes with Intel i7, 4Gb of Ram, a 500Gb HDD.. Maybe that can give you an idea. (Its motherboard has two fans)

The point is, that I can't get it turned on.

I tried to boot with Safe mode, and it worked, but when restarted the white screen appeared again.

I didn't know what to do, so I tried to install Yosemite on it. I made a bootable Flash memory with the installer and everything necessary, but the white screen appeared again.

So today I've made a copy of the HDD of my iMac (wich already has Yosemite on it) and fully erased the old Macbook's HDD and copied the iMac's one.

Now, the white screen still appears, but when I try to start up in Safe mode, It doesn't answer at all.. It tries to start up normally and the white screen appears after the logo.

I'm starting to believe that my graphics card is damaged.. but i've looked in the macbook and it seems to be integrated to the motherboard..

I don't know what else to do, I've tried all the ways to start up a Mac, searched for solutions on internet for hours..

I would really appreciate your help...

Thank You!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So today I've made a copy of the HDD of my iMac (wich already has Yosemite on it) and fully erased the old Macbook's HDD and copied the iMac's one.

This may have complicated things...but we'll see.

Try these two things:

1. Try an SMC Reset:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

2. Try booting the computer into the Recovery Partition...by rebooting the computer and immediately pressing the two key combo of command + r.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Macbook Issue

Thank you for the quick answer.

I've done the SMC reset (removing the battery, holding the power 5 seconds... etc.) and It doesn't works, the white screen still appears.

The cmd+R combo doesn't work either.. It happens the same that with the safe mode.. the computer doesn't react to it.. It starts normally. Other combos like cmd+V do work..

Aleix

OP
A
Reaction score
Macbook Issue

As It says the page I've shared, my Mac has the AMD graphics card and a Intel Graphics Card.

"This system has dual graphics processors -- an AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics processor with 256 MB of dedicated GDDR5 SDRAM and Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384 MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory. The system automatically switches between graphics systems based on use (when applications use OpenGL, Core Graphics or other graphically demanding technologies, the system will use the dedicated graphics card, otherwise it will use Intel HD Graphics to conserve battery life)."

I've also read that a dead graphics card can prevent the mac to boot.

Should I manually remove the AMD?

(This is the motherboard)

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/QWKKPpAh4AHJm1bf.mediumIs

Is it gonna automatically work with the Intel one?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro 13, 2001 Apple Cube, 2002 Apple Lampshade, 1990 Apple Macintosh LCII and more
Unless you started disassembling your laptop and your informations are correct, Apple has a extended repair program for the graphics problem in 2011/2012 MBP 15 and 17.
https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/
The chip is flat soldered to the logic board and I would suggest to NOT remove it. You probably neither have the tools (BGA rework station) nor knowledge to do it.
If you did start disassembling your machine and want to do it yourself, bake the logic board for 9 min at 400 degrees in a regular oven (no convection) and reflow it. The board as to be bare and clean. Make sure its elevated on the middle rack with some wooden spoons, no metal on metal.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.