iphoto not working

Reaction score
Running on Yosemite 10.10.3

I plugged in my iPhone to upload a photo and got this message:

In order to open "iPhoto", you need to update to the latest version.

So then I clicked on "search app store" to get a newer version and received this message:

The item you have requested in not currently available in the U.S. store.

So, I clicked ok and went to the search bar and typed in iPhoto. No iPhoto came up.

Please help! I am a huge picture taker! I need iPhoto!

(I believe I backed up my photos correctly so I should be able to get them back, but what in the world????)

Thank you,

Dawn

OP
D
Reaction score
I have clicked on "purchases" and iPhoto is there and says it was purchased Jan. 22, 2015. There is an "open" button but when I click it, nothing happens.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
With the release of 10.10.3 and inclusion of Photos (the new photo app/eventual replacement for iPhoto), some users have had trouble running iPhoto if they did not have the most recent version installed. Try the following and see if it helps:
1. Your current version of iPhoto is in the Applications folder. Move it to a different location such as inside a folder. This shouldn't interfere with the iPhoto library.
2. Launch the App Store on your Mac and log into your account.
3. Now go to the Purchases tab and see if you can download the newest version of iPhotos.

M

MacInWin

And yes, it IS important to "hide" the existing iPhoto before going to Purchased, otherwise it acts like you found it and won't download because it thinks you already have it.

OP
D
Reaction score
With the release of 10.10.3 and inclusion of Photos (the new photo app/eventual replacement for iPhoto), some users have had trouble running iPhoto if they did not have the most recent version installed. Try the following and see if it helps:
1. Your current version of iPhoto is in the Applications folder. Move it to a different location such as inside a folder. This shouldn't interfere with the iPhoto library.
2. Launch the App Store on your Mac and log into your account.
3. Now go to the Purchases tab and see if you can download the newest version of iPhotos.

Ok, you lost me. How do I move it?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try the following. It should make iPhoto easy to find in case you need to move it back.

1. From the Finder open the Applications folder.
2. Choose Create a New Folder from the File menu (or press Shift Command N simultaneously)
3. Name the folder something like iPhoto2
4. Single click the iPhoto app and drag it into the folder you just created.

Once you go into the App Store and download the new version of iPhoto and made sure it's working you can delete the folder you just created.

OP
D
Reaction score
Try the following. It should make iPhoto easy to find in case you need to move it back.

1. From the Finder open the Applications folder.
2. Choose Create a New Folder from the File menu (or press Shift Command N simultaneously)
3. Name the folder something like iPhoto2
4. Single click the iPhoto app and drag it into the folder you just created.

Once you go into the App Store and download the new version of iPhoto and made sure it's working you can delete the folder you just created.

Thanks. I will try it.

Reaction score
have fun.

Apple has updated yosemites security with 10.10.3 and even if you are successful at reinstalling it it still usually won't run.

OP
D
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, now I feel really dumb. I didn't understand what you meant by Photos. I see it now AND I see all my content has moved over from iPhoto to Photos.

Now to figure out how to move things into batches as some of my albums are no longer albums.

Dawn

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I didn't mention that. Sometimes I forget that not everyone knows thats going to happen. Check the help file in the Photos app. It has quite a bit of information on creating/organizing albums. There might be something there that is helpful.

I'm still learning Photos myself and haven't played with it much.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't mention that. Sometimes I forget that not everyone knows thats going to happen. Check the help file in the Photos app. It has quite a bit of information on creating/organizing albums. There might be something there that is helpful.

I'm still learning Photos myself and haven't played with it much.

Thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.