downgrade from snow leopard to orginal 10.4.7

Reaction score
i have a friend who has an old Mac that he took into PCworld UK , and they upgrade the RAM to 2GB and snow leopard, now hes been having all sorts of issues, and PCWorld aren't helping.
It wont come out of sleep mode
The screen sometimes get checkers across it and what he calls scratches

He has a lot of data, as his a photographer
Office which he got with the machine but does not have the disks

he has the two OSX 10.4.7 disks and just wants to go back to how it was before he bothered to upgrade

Just looking to know
1) can he downgrade and best way to do that
2) Will timemachine restore all his data after a downgrade
3) How can he put office back on - I think he has 2008

Just general advice on what to do to get it all back to how it was before he upgraded

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Quite frankly it sounds more like he has hardware issues here. I'd wager that they put the wrong RAM in. (EDIT: can you tell us which EXACT Mac he has (year, model, CPU speed, etc) and tell us which EXACT modules of RAM they installed?)

You can't simply downgrade the OS. You'd have to reformat the drive, then reinstall 10.4 from scratch. You can only do a Time Machine restore IF you have a backup made while running 10.4. Actually... since Time Machine was introduced with 10.5, it's not an option. Basically, he'd have to reinstall everything. He should be able to manually copy files over from his backup though. But again, I'd more suspicious that he has hardware issues, and reinstalling 10.4 won't fix anything.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The screen sometimes get checkers across it and what he calls scratches

I was going to say the same thing as "Lifeisabeach" when I read the thread earlier (but didn't have time to respond).

"Checkers" across the display should not be caused by an OS upgrade. This is usually a sign of a video hardware problem.

For example if it's maybe something like this:

checkerboard.jpg

- Nick

OP
etaf
Reaction score
PCWorld installed
2gb
ddr2-pc2-5300 667mhz
ddr memory upgrade kit

He has an
mac
imac 6.1
intel core 2 duo
2.16ghz
1 proc
cores 2

They removed RAM
1gb - 2x512mb modules removed

Orginally came with
osx 10.4.11
And he has the Disks to re-install

Year he thinks is about 2006/7
But the MAc is playing up and he had to force a shutdown

If it was a PC now, I would suspect its a hardware error or an issue with the upgrade to snow leopard and maybe other hardware damaged

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Orginally came with
osx 10.4.11

The thread title says original OS was 10.4.7 (which IS correct). 10.4.11 would have been an update.:)

- Nick

OP
etaf
Reaction score
Thanks

Yes 10.4.7 he said originally
two Apple Disks he had with the machine

Do you think that is the correct memory ?
He read off the new RAM packaging they gave him , which they put the old RAM in

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you think that is the correct memory ?
He read off the new RAM packaging they gave him , which they put the old RAM in

Yes that is the correct ram.

But even if it wasn't the correct ram. Incorrect ram wouldn't cause the "checkered" display. Incorrect ram either wouldn't fit, the computer wouldn't run, or the computer would be unstable and freeze in a short period of time. Wrong ram wouldn't or shouldn't cause a "checkered display".

The bottom line is. If you thought the ram was bad...then reinstall the old ram. If you think the problem is related to the OS upgrade...then downgrade the OS back to 10.4.7 (then update to 10.4.11).

But if it's actually a hardware problem. Neither will help.:(

The ram procedure can be found at ifixit.com

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the iMac he has:
iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.16 24-Inch Specs (Late 2006 - 24", MA456LL, iMac6,1, A1200, 2111) @ EveryMac.com

According to EveryMac, the RAM is the right spec. I can't say it completely rules out a problem with the RAM though... even specced right, it still can be finicky. Most of us who have replaced RAM in the past have found that we have to be particular about who we get the RAM from.

Considering what pigoo's example of a checkered display, I'm actually wondering if the problem is the graphics card now. I don't see how RAM can do that. I also think it's highly unlikely that the shop did anything wrong... according to this guide on iFixit, it's a simple removal of a panel on the back and easy swap out.

How did he (or they) get Snow Leopard on it? Was a clean install done? I assume he has the install discs for Snow Leopard (because he darned well should if he paid for this). If he or they did something like just copy an image from another Mac to his Mac, then I can see how the problem is "simply" having the incorrect hardware drivers installed.

OP
etaf
Reaction score
computer would be unstable and freeze in a short period of time
it is - it freezes a lot , even on the phone - just going to about , it froze a few times and he had to hard reset

the Snow Leopard he purchased and has the Disks

Sound like , I should suggest he puts the old RAM in and see what happens

I think Chequered, he may have meant boxes appearing on the screen - ie problems with printer
He also did say about the screen looks scratched in places.

Good to know at least it is the correct RAM he has

Thanks for all the links

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it is - it freezes a lot , even on the phone - just going to about , it froze a few times and he had to hard reset

Freezing can be related to bad ram. Or if the ram is not seated properly.

Sound like , I should suggest he puts the old RAM in and see what happens

This is definitely one way to narrow down the possibilities. For me…replacing the ram is easier & faster than downgrading the OS. There's a little access panel with two screws at the bottom of the display. VERY easy!!!:)

I think Chequered, he may have meant boxes appearing on the screen...

Yes. My interpretation of what "checkered" means…and what the owner of the computer means by "checkered"…could be vastly different.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If he continues to have the problems despite putting the old RAM back in, then the next thing to try is a reset of the PRAM.
How to Reset PRAM on a Mac | OSXDaily

Among the many things stored in PRAM, this one is of interest:
Video and display information including monitor depth, refresh rate, screen resolution, and number of colors

It's quite possible that the PRAM settings are corrupt for some reason, and faulty parameters as above could explain at least the display issues.

EDIT: and maybe reset the SMC as well. When and How to Reset Mac SMC (System Management Controller) | OSXDaily

OP
etaf
Reaction score
is it worth doing that anyway - before changing the RAM back ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
etaf
Reaction score
Thanks, I have suggested he tries that - will let you know

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I have suggested he tries that - will let you know

Maybe you should ask "he" to join Mac-Forums as well.:) And not make you do all the work!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the resets don't work, then the next thing to try is applying the 10.6.8 Update Combo. Sometimes this irons out buggy behavior as a result of a previously applied update.
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?locale=en_US

Once that is done, download Onyx and run its full suite of maintenance and cleaning tools. This will help ensure there isn't a faulty cache or permissions issue in play here. Make sure the correct version of Onyx for Snow Leopard is downloaded.
Titanium Software - OnyX

OP
etaf
Reaction score
Maybe you should ask "he" to join Mac-Forums as well. And not make you do all the work!
not a bad idea, but then he would phone me up and ask what it all means anyway :( :(
and what should he do.
and to talk him step by step on how to connect a used ipad he purchased to the wireless network earlier today.

And thats the reason he got PCWorld involved in the MAC to do everything

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
not a bad idea, but then he would phone me up and ask what it all means anyway :( :(
and what should he do.
and to talk him step by step on how to connect a used ipad he purchased to the wireless network earlier today.

And thats the reason he got PCWorld involved in the MAC to do everything

That's why we're here. Take a look at some of the posts by previous members. Many of our members started out that way so we're used to that. The benefit is that over time many of these same members have gone on to become very knowledgeable, helpful members.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.