iPhone Calls Linked

Reaction score
When my wife and I are in my practice or at home, we're on the same wifi. We both receive all the same calls, simultaneously. I've checked the settings. They are correctly checked and unchecked. Took them to AT&T store and the tech confirmed that my settings are correct. I have not taken them to the Apple Store. Suggestions?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Can you be more specific? Calls from what application? What settings have you checked?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm a little confused by the idea that you both receive the same calls. Do you mean that you get calls that should go only to her and she gets calls that should only go to you?

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry. More Specific Information

Not an App. Just phone calls. Someone calls my phone, and her iPhone rings, also. When someone calls her phone, I get the call, also.
I went into phone settings, and message settings, to make sure that each phone only had a check mark by its number.

We both have 5S.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We had someone else who reported the same problem. It turned out to be his carrier who was at fault. If all your settings are OK, yours and your wife's calls should be separate and ring separately. Check with your carrier and by all means check your SIM card and your wife's SIM card.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
We had someone else who reported the same problem. It turned out to be his carrier who was at fault.
Really? That's the oddest problem that I've heard about in a long time!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't tell if the sim cards are at fault, only your carrier can do that. You didn't mention who your carrier is but if there's a service store nearby have them check the cards. Can you call your wife's phone from yours when both of you are on the same network?

OP
D
Reaction score
It's AT&T.i took the phones to the AT&T store and the guy looked at the settings. He couldn't figure it out. Maybe if I call AT&T tech support, they can help.
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I would do is take both phones to an AT&T store and have them program two new sim cards; one for your phone, the other for your wife.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What I would do is take both phones to an AT&T store and have them program two new sim cards; one for your phone, the other for your wife.

Agreed. If all the AT&T rep is check the settings. I'm not sure that really gets at any useful information to pinpoint the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
The issue is that you are signed into the same Apple ID under phone in settings. Sign out of the apple id in that section and it should take care of it. I have had this issue with our company phones.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The issue is that you are signed into the same Apple ID under phone in settings. Sign out of the apple id in that section and it should take care of it. I have had this issue with our company phones.

It doesn't work that way. My wife and I are both signed in to the same Apple ID in our iPhone settings but we don't share calls and our phones ring separately. The only way two phones ring together is if one is an extension of the other or the sim cards are screwed up.

OP
D
Reaction score
UPDATE TO LINKED CALLS - SOLUTION FOUND.
I was looking in Settings on my iPhone, for a different reason. Under Settings > Phone, there is a section called "Calls on Other Devices When Nearby." I clicked on this and found Allow Calls on Other Devices. This has a master on-off switch to turn off any other devices. But, when it is on, ALL of my computers, including my practice computers, iPads and iPhones show up as choices. They each have the individual on-off switches next to them. These were all turned On. I didn't do it, directly, but perhaps when I first set up my phone or iPad, it happened. I have an iPhone 6 Plus, now and it was still happening. Anyway, I've turned all of these off and my wife and I are no longer getting each other's calls at the same time. I hope this info will help others in the Forum and it certainly provides a clear answer to the problem. To recap the initial issue, when my wife and I were in my practice or at home, and a person called her iPhone, my iPhone also rang, and vice versa. It made it difficult to know who the caller was trying to reach. For example, our college student son might be needing to talk to my wife about something, and I might answer, or the other way around. Or, a referring doctor calls me and my wife answers. Since we are together, when it happens, we are able to get the correct person on the phone. But, it was confusing for us and the caller. Thanks for all the help in this and other matters.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thanks for the follow-up. I went looking on my iPhone 5S with iOS 8.4.1 and couldn't find this setting. I'm on T-Mobile. I wonder if this is an AT&T feature or something. I can see having text messages show up all on devices connected by the same Apple ID, but this particular feature seems dumb to me..

OP
D
Reaction score
It does seem dumb, or at least, strange. It was cool, that my calls forwarded to my iPad. But, I cut that off, also. I would get some texts and calls that ONLY showed up on my iPad. One was a patient, who was having an issue and I didn't see her text, until very late that evening. Her texts didn't show on my phone, at all. Same with texts from my brother, for some reason. And, it's not consistent. Okay, I see your Patriots emblem. I won't go into the whole thing, but did you see the picture with the Patriots beer can? "This beer tastes a little flat to me!" ;-) I am a Cowboys fan, so I get it from all sides. Especially, before last season, when they couldn't buy a win. Something about the Cowboys called for an investigation, because there was a strange white powdery substance found. It was the goal line! :)

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Thanks for the follow-up. I went looking on my iPhone 5S with iOS 8.4.1 and couldn't find this setting. I'm on T-Mobile. I wonder if this is an AT&T feature or something. I can see having text messages show up all on devices connected by the same Apple ID, but this particular feature seems dumb to me..

This is a new setting in iOS 9 and beyond.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
This is a new setting in iOS 9 and beyond.

Ahh gotcha! I'm going to leave my iPhone 5S on 8.4.1 until I sell it and upgrade to 6S. But this is a good thing to remember on iOS 9. Still curious as to why this works the way it does..

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
It has helped me occasionally, when I've been upstairs with my iPad and my iPhone is downstairs charging, for example.

Alternatively, if you find a company phone number when surfing on your iPad or Mac this allows you to just dial it rather than having to type the number into your phone. It's a small benefit, to be sure.

Once the networks allow, this will become a much more useful feature. You will be able to phone from your other devices even when your phone is elsewhere, as long as both are attached to wifi. Left your phone at home but have your iPad or iPod with you? No problem as long as you can get to a wifi hotspot. I think this should even work with the Watch, eventually. Only AT&T in the US support this feature at present. It can even be used internationally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
No I have Sprint and it shows up on my iPhone. I am running iOS 9.01. But under settings -> phone -> calls, there is a selection "calls on other devices" I just checked to make sure it is turned off. My husband is confused enough with his iPhone 5c without adding that level of confusion. ;D

I have discovered all kinds of interesting issues that came up after I installed iOS 9. I don't understand why but it seems several of my system settings were changes. One was in my iCloud settings and messages. My husband started getting my text (he does NOT text). I finally figured out what had changed and got it straightened out. I just hope I caught all the changes the upgrade made.

One small note: They may have fixed this but I discovered that if I had my iPhone set to use my wifi for calls my watch would no longer indicate a call coming in. It seems that feature does not work on the watch if the phone is using the internet. I haven't read where they fixed that issue either.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.