Special characters / Office for Mac

Reaction score
Dear All,

when I open a file (.doc or .xls) special characters (like russian or latvian ones) are not shown and replaced by an empty square.

Can you help me to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, in TextEdit they are shown and the keyboard languages are properly set.
As u wrote, the problem must be the fonts of MS Office: if I select all the text and change font, then normal characters replace the empty square.. Do you think there is a way to solve this issue at the source so that text shown properly already at the beginning?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't really know and I don't use MS Office much, and definitely don't use any language other than English, so hopefully some guru that does will provide some info or head off with a google search.

It may be that the the original file is trying to use a font you don't have and no auto font substitution is happening.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, in TextEdit they are shown and the keyboard languages are properly set.
As u wrote, the problem must be the fonts of MS Office: if I select all the text and change font, then normal characters replace the empty square.. Do you think there is a way to solve this issue at the source so that text shown properly already at the beginning?

Thanks in advance

The problem is you do not have the proper fonts installed. You need to install a font set for Russian and Latvian (Cyrillic), otherwise you'll get the square boxes. Out of the box, Mac Word supports Asian languages but not Russian, Greek, and some others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.