Disappearing and reappearing desktop

Reaction score
A friend tried hooking up my imac to the tv unsuccessfully and now the items on my desktop disappear and reappear. Any ideas how to restore?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
What version of OS X are you using? What model of Mac? What specifically is disappearing? Do you mean the dock? Or the dock and menu bar? Or something else?

Lisa

OP
T
Reaction score
10.7.5 , 2011 i mac 21.5 what is disappearing again are the documents on the desktop.

Thank you Lisa...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
The Desktop is a folder. It's located at /Users/<yourusername>/Desktop and it holds there the files and stuff you put on the desktop.

I display my Desktop folder in the Finder sidebar. You can do that by opening and clicking on Finder - > Preferences ->Sidebar -> and check what you want to show up.

You can take a look to see what is actually in the folder. I suspect it might have gotten corrupted when you hooked up the TV. You should run disk utility and repair permissions. It might help.

I know it is not considered a good idea to keep your documents on the desktop. I don't just because I find it upsets my OCD.

Just a thought - you didn't by chance change your user name? If you did that causes a lot of issues.

Lisa

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you Lisa. I'll follow your ideas. I'm in Ecuador and will try and find a Mac expert to help.

Best,
Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.