New case for mac mini

Reaction score
I've tried using virtualization of Windows on my Mac Mini using BootCamp and Parallels but some programs do not run 100%. I have many OSX files but I need to get PC system better than a random store bought Dell. I plan to assemble a dual PC/Mac setup in one case but I first have to manage the Mac part.

My setup would have an mini-itx PC and a mac mini logic board in one case along with a cooling system. Since the mac mini uses proprietary cables for optical drive and HDD, can I still move the logic board to a new case? I plan on connecting it with a new Blu-ray optical drive and 250 GB SSD.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My setup would have an mini-itx PC and a mac mini logic board in one case along with a cooling system.

I'm not really sure I'm understanding the advantage here. It still sounds like two computers inside one case. Since the Mac-Mini is so small to start with…why not just use two computers separately? Use the Mac-Mini when you need to do "Mac Stuff". And use the Windows computer to do the Windows stuff.

Also remember…when you run Windows via bootcamp on a Mac…Windows is supposed to run just like it does in a traditional Windows computer. I can understand some Windows programs not running 100% when using Parallels. But Windows and Windows programs via bootcamp should run great.

The only difficulty I would see with running Windows programs via bootcamp on the Mac-Mini is…if the Mac-Mini is "underpowered" or doesn't have good graphics hardware to run the Windows programs well.

Maybe there are some details missing regarding the advantages to this setup.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I would like to get into PC gaming and build my own PC but I still have my external HDDs which are Mac formatted.

The case on my old mini is scratched beyond belief and the optical drive no longer works so I need a new case for the mini anyway. I would just like to know if it is possible to build a PC/Mac system.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.