Can I create a data DVD on my iMac that is readable on a Windows computer.

Reaction score
Hello all, I expect this is a problem often found by Mac users. I have about 3 Gigs of jpegs that I want to give to someone running Windows. I have created a DVD on my iMac but it won't read on my Windows laptop. Does anyone know if this can be done. If not I'll put the files onto a memory stick and do it that way.
Thanks for any advice.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Welcome to the Forums.

What you describe - a CD/DVD with photos which is readable on anything, more or less, is certainly achievable. I've done this numerous times, probably hundreds by now.

Perhaps you could just tell us which Mac you have, your Operating System and how you created your DVD?

Of course, as you so rightly mention, you can circumvent the problem using a USB stick (or EHD). Just make sure that it is formatted MS DOS (Fat) using Disk Utility for it to be readable on Windows as well as Macs.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I am running OS/X Yosemite 10.10.2. I am writing to a TDK DVD-R 4.7 GB. In Finder I dragged the folder containing all the jpegs onto the DVD icon, then I clicked the 'radiation' symbol next to the DVD drive in Finder. It started writing the disc, then verified.

I put the DVD into my Windows 7 laptop and click on the DVD drive it pops up the 'Burn a disc' box and asks me how I want to deal with this disc. The only option is 'like a USB Flash Drive', the only other option 'From a CD/DVD writer' is greyed.

Perhaps I haven't completed the burning process in OS/X

Can you see where I'm going wrong ?

thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Assuming the drive in the Windows box is OK that should have worked. Here are the steps. They should also work for Yosemite as I don'r think the process has changed.

At first I thought you had used a DVD-RW disc but if your description of the disc is correct that is not the issue.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Apologies Bobbster, I had to go out for a couple of hours.

I agree with Sly that your actions should have been successful.

Perhaps I haven't completed the burning process in OS/X
One way of confirming the "burning process" is to try running the DVD on your Mac. If it works fine, then I suspect the Windows end of things.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I tried to read the disc in my Mac and it was unreadable, couldn't eject it either until I restarted the Mac ! Obviously something went wrong the first time, and I can't believe I try this first !

The instructions posted here state that the problems often come when using the fastest burn speed, so I'm trying this again at x2 speed ( IE the slowest ). Currently there doesn't seem to be much difference in the progress bar. It's chugging along pretty much the same as last time.

I will let you know how I get on with this.

ps anyone need a coaster ? I've got hundreds :(

cheers all

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As long as you burn the DVD using the Joilet Standard and CLOSE the DVD by writing the TOC, it can be read on a PC, Linux machine, Mac, etc. Most burn programs allow for the specs I quoted above.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi all, I have now burned another DVD which works on my iMac and Windows laptop. The only difference was the burn speed ( x2 ).

Thanks for everyone's help,

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good for you Bobbster. In the end.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.