Best browser for mac.

Reaction score
I have always used Safari on my computer but can not login to my bank anymore, if I download Firefox and login no problem but with Firefox I find that other functions no longer work such as spell check when messaging in Facebook, my question is what is the best browser and if I install lets say Firefox should I then remove Safari? any tips or advice welcome.
Regards.
Adrian.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Like you I use Safari, but some sites do not recognise it and I also use Firefox. Microsoft Technicians have constructed the sites to be Internet Explorer only which is as far as they think.

You cannot remove Safari (or should not) as it is part of the operating system. Simply use FF when necessary, Safari the rest.

And download AdBlockPlus and Ghostery to keep it nce and clean from malware etc.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Adrianx If you find a site that doesn't play nice with Safari try going to the Develop menu in Safari. One of the options in that menu is "User Agent". Try setting it to something different like one of the versions of Internet Explorer.

That works for some sites and not others, It really depends upon how the site is constructed. you may find it necessary to reload the page after making the User Agent change.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also what version of OS X are you running on your Mac? I find Safari in 10.10.3 goes to everything including 2 banks and many other secure sites!

I do have Firefox just in case but rarely ever use it since 10.10 came out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Same here. My bank (Wells Fargo) accepts Safari, FF, Chrome, Opera, IE, etc. Any bank nowadays that doesn't accept a modern browser is probably behind the times and maybe not worth banking with. "Just saying..."

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you all for tips and advice. My problem remains the same with Safari and what I find odd is that it was fine for years and then suddenly started acting up, it works fine with everything with the exception to my bank and voip calls, something changed with Safari I feel and maybe due to one of the updates.
Thanks again one and all.

Regards. Adrian.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thank you all for tips and advice. My problem remains the same with Safari and what I find odd is that it was fine for years and then suddenly started acting up, it works fine with everything with the exception to my bank and voip calls, something changed with Safari I feel and maybe due to one of the updates.

Do you have any extensions installed? I use a few myself, including AdBlock and Ghostery, and while most websites work well with them on, there are a handful that just don't work properly. Try disabling them. If your bank's website starts working properly, you'll need to add them to the whitelist for your extensions.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes, I also use AdBlock & Ghostery, I will try as you suggest disabling them and hope it makes a difference. Thanks for info.

Adrian.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And by the way, Adrian, it is always sensible to keep 2 (or more) browsers on your Mac even if you generally only use one of them. Reason? If Safari, say, became corrupted or didn't work for any reason, you have no access to the Internet to seek help (from us, for example) or download OnyX or Google for answers.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Two month old thread, but the OP's problem doesn't seem unusual to me. It's probably due to web sites "advancing" that leaves an older browser behind, and it happens all of a sudden.

M

MacInWin

Actually, it's a two YEAR old thread, and I wouldn't use ANYTHING from Google, including Chrome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Google Chrome is very nosey.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And tracks everywhere you go and influences Google search engine towards favoured clients for money, of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Google in general is very nosy. I read an article recently where Google said they can now track your offline purchases (meaning in-store). That's beyond creepy, and I may have experienced it. Picked up a bottle of whiskey a couple weeks ago and a day or 2 later I logged into Facebook and noticed an ad for a whiskey glass shaped like a skull. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. I'm not sure of the relationship between Facebook and Google here. I've receded from using Facebook because they are getting too creepy and quite frankly annoying for my liking. Google too. I avoid using them as much as I can for search.

Reaction score

Since the code underlying Chrome is open source, it's possible to find browsers that are every bit as good as Chrome, and maybe better in some ways, because they are based on the same codebase, only without all of Google's spyware. Check out:

Brave (free)
https://brave.com/index/

Vivaldi (free)
https://vivaldi.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.