Unable to open any folders in Finder

Reaction score
Suddenly I can't see the contents of any folder through Finder. I double click on it and it takes me to a new Finder window with nothing in it. When I get info on the folder the details about the size don't load. It just keeps searching for it. All folders are like this except for one I created on my Desktop. I can't run disk utility because I can't open the Utilities folder. I am so lost! I've been running Yosemite for awhile now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't run disk utility because I can't open the Utilities folder. I am so lost! I've been running Yosemite for awhile now.

You can't run Disk Utility and check your hard drive while the system is up and running. Reboot your Mac while holding down the command and r keys. That will get you into Recovery. Once in Recovery, select Utilities, Disk Utility, and verify your hard drive. Let us know the result.

OP
K
Reaction score
Well I learned quite a bit. While trying to restart I got a message that Finder could not close because operations were still in progress. I ended up doing a hard reboot but got distracted and forgot to enter safe mode. I thought I'd go ahead and check if my folders would open and they're back to normal. So it appears Finder was just super slow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.