CPU upgrade on early Mac Pro 2009

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post here!

I've got an 8 core dual 2.66 Mac Pro and I was thinking of giving it a little more power.

Would I be able to use a matched pair of these CPUs?

SLBV7 (Intel Xeon X5670)

It says they're compatible with the socket type 1366 and DDR 1333Mz memory. Is there anything I'm not seeing?

Many thanks,

Damon

OP
P
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (2015), Mac Pro 4,1 (upgraded to 5,1), several MDD G4's/iMac G4's and a Power Mac G5
I've just bought an X5690 tray with 32Gb memory. It seemed a good upgrade from the 2.66GHz tray that came with the machine.

There's a dual tray on eBay UK with damage to the CPU B socket (about $150 equivalent). Is it worth buying to try and repair, and if not, for the parts with a view to changing the processor board at a later date? The heatsinks and metal tray aren't cheap to buy, and I've found a new board for about $500. Obviously there'd be CPU's to add at some point, and the Mac Pro 4,1 would need delidded CPU's too. On paper, this could be cheaper that hunting down a dual 3.46GHz tray.

Worth doing as a upcoming project?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.