hyperlinks

Reaction score
I have for some time created hyperlinks to a web page within a Word doc. But now when I do this I do not reach the desired page but get pages of code. Please can someone tell me how to correct this?

OP
S
Reaction score
hyperlink problem

Until recently I was able to create hyperlink to a web page from Word. But now I can create a link but when I click I get pages of code, not the desired web page. How can I fix this please.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Separate threads merged.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Can you provide an example of a page that you're trying to link to?

The issue here is likely not Word but the browser or the page itself.

OP
S
Reaction score
hyperlinks problem

Here is the url of a page I have tried to reach via a hyperlink

http://www.kolchai.org/resources/walk-club/summertime-walk-2015.pdf

I know that other people CAN set up a hyperlink as I can pass my document to them and they are successful but they use a PC.

Someone suggested that I have inadvertently made my system ask for code but I cannot see anything in Preferences that would indicate that possibility.

Sigu

Reaction score
That is a link to a .pdf. If it's not showing up in your browser check your downloads folder.
It may be downloading, depending on how your browser's set up.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hyperlink problem

Thank you. But no, it is not in downloads.

I arrange for the hyperlink to be activated by clicking "HERE". When I do so, the url shows up on the page next to "HERE" for a few seconds then I get the pages of code already mentioned.

Up until maybe a month or so ago I was getting to the page requested looking as it should with no hassle.

So something is different but I cannot identify what the something is.

Sigu

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So something is different but I cannot identify what the something is.

If you're correctly inserting the hyperlink into Word, then the problem has to be with your browser. Which browser are you using and have you tried to change default browsers?

OP
S
Reaction score
chscag,

Thanks for the suggestion. So far, I have always used Safari i.e. both during the period when this worked and now. I will try an alternative and report back.

Sigu

OP
S
Reaction score
chscag,

I have switched from Safari to Firefox and the desired page now opens , so problem solved. So many thanks to you.
One interesting thing. When I go into System Preferences/General I do not have a middle section "Default Browser" which my son has on his mac. So in order to change browser I had to open Firefox and from there nominate it as my default. Strange that the Mac page is not identical (We are both on Mavericks).

Again, many thanks to everyone who gave time to my problem,

Sigu

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear that the hyperlinks are now working. It is strange that you don't have the entry for default browser in System Preferences, General. I suspect that something has happened to Safari and it's broken. You can try downloading another copy from Apple to see if that fixes it or wait until Safari is upgraded again.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you sure that you're both using the same version of OS X? If you don't see that in System Preferences, I suspect something is broken. Do you see the option to set the default in Safari's preferences?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.