What iMac 21.5-in would you suggest I get?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm planning on getting a new iMac (21.5 inch) and I'd like to know which you would recommend I get? Though I don't do a lot of gaming (mostly things like Sims 3/4, Amnesia, Slender--nothing too heavy on graphics--occasionally something like Dead Space), I'd like a quality GPU, especially since Yosemite appeared to have ruined my old iMac's GPU after installation (after how many years should you stop upgrading your Mac anyway?). I also watch a lot of HD movies.

I'm currently choosing between the 2.7GHz and 2.9GHz, meaning I'm mainly deciding on whether to get the one with the Intel Iris Pro Graphics or the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M graphics processor (with 1GB of GDDR5 memory)--though I'd love your input on which model iMac (still 21.5-in) I should get based on overall performance.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Very simple: Get the best 21.5" iMac that you can afford. Keeping in mind that nothing on that machine is after market upgradeable. I would prioritize memory, hard drive space, and the graphics. $$$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As chscag says depends on what you can afford to run to. My next iMac will probably be the 27" iMac non Retina, with 512GB of Flash storage. You can upgrade the memory yourself pretty easily which cane be a huge saving.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses guys. Makes sense. I never can tell the difference between Macs anyway. I just wanted to know if one GPU would last longer/perform better or if they're pretty much the same, NVIDIA vs Intel.

I've heard a lot about Apple recalling/replacing certain units because of issues with graphics hardware.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've heard a lot about Apple recalling/replacing certain units because of issues with graphics hardware.

You need to be specific. What model computers are you talking about? Apple has been selling computers since 1984 (31 years). And yes…over that 31 years some computer models have had GPU issues. So you need to be specific.:)

If you're ONLY talking brand new models. Why would Apple be selling brand new models with GPU problems…if they are being recalled or may need to replaced shortly after sale??:Confused:

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
You need to be specific. What model computers are you talking about? Apple has been selling computers since 1984 (31 years). And yes…over that 31 years some computer models have had GPU issues. So you need to be specific.:)

If you're ONLY talking brand new models. Why would Apple be selling brand new models with GPU problems…if they are being recalled or may need to replaced shortly after sale??:Confused:

- Nick

These ones (see links below). They weren't selling brand new models with graphics problems knowingly--that's not what I meant. I'm more worried about buying an iMac then, months later, encountering major problems with it.

Apple Hit With Class-Action Lawsuit Over Failing 27" iMac Displays - Mac Rumors
Apple Hit With A Class-Action Lawsuit Regarding 27-Inch iMac Displays | Cult of Mac

and

2011 MacBook Pro graphics class-action suit expands, accuses Apple of concealing defects

(OK I know they all say class action lawsuit, but those are the words I remember most clearly from the articles I read)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These ones (see links below). They weren't selling brand new models with graphics problems knowingly--that's not what I meant. I'm more worried about buying an iMac then, months later, encountering major problems with it.

Yes I'm very familiar with the models in the links you provided. That's why I asked if you were thinning of buying new or used. Because some older used units did have GPU issues.

As far as brand new units and GPU issues. Who can predict the future? The folks that purchased the 27" iMacs or the 2011 MacBook Pro's in the links you provided didn't know anything about GPU problems when they purchased those units when they ware brand new. The GPU issued developed over time (after purchase).

No one can predict if ANY model computer Apple is selling in 2015 will develop GPU problems. These things only become apparent over time. It's not like this sort of thing is commonplace…but it does happen.

If you're super concerned. You automatically get 12 months of Applecare warranty with the purchase of any new or refurbished Apple computer. And this can be extended to 3 years with the purchase of additional Applecare.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes I'm very familiar with the models in the links you provided. That's why I asked if you were thinning of buying new or used. Because some older used units did have GPU issues.

As far as brand new units and GPU issues. Who can predict the future? The folks that purchased the 27" iMacs or the 2011 MacBook Pro's in the links you provided didn't know anything about GPU problems when they purchased those units when they ware brand new. The GPU issued developed over time (after purchase).

No one can predict if ANY model computer Apple is selling in 2015 will develop GPU problems. These things only become apparent over time. It's not like this sort of thing is commonplace…but it does happen.

If you're super concerned. You automatically get 12 months of Applecare warranty with the purchase of any new or refurbished Apple computer. And this can be extended to 3 years with the purchase of additional Applecare.:)

- Nick

Thanks. I'll probably follow that advice. Out of the 3 graphics units though which one would you recommend (each by itself)?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.