I have a broken, old computer stand/USB powered fan. Save for the fan?

Reaction score
I had this computer stand that had a fan inside it that was USB powered. The stand broke but the fan still works fine. Is it worth saving for the fan? I'd used SMC FanControl when my computer seemed to be running real hot...but on another thread, I was told that program is kind of superfluous and the computer can get hot but knows to take care of itself. So, is having a fan to put it on something unnecessary? Or will it prolong the life of my computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro 13, 2001 Apple Cube, 2002 Apple Lampshade, 1990 Apple Macintosh LCII and more
Its unnecessary, because it only blows on the outside of the aluminum case of the MacBook Pro/Air. Doesn't make a difference.
There are other factors you should take in consideration:
- Model and age of the laptop (fresh thermal paste vs old and dry one)
- fans plugged up with dirt
- OSX updates up to date
(For example: installing 10.9 on a 2010 MBP 15 2.66 i7, the machine will run extremely hot. After update to 10.9.4 is runs smooth and at normal temps)
- in 2012 MBP 13 the HGST hard drive can cause overheating issues

Once all that is checked than look into smc fan control. What temps are you running (GPU/CPU)?
Under normal load temps should be anywhere around 50-70 degrees Celsius /125 - 160 Fahrenheit depending on year and model. 15 and 17" usually run hotter than 13".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.