Is it worth to expand RAM from 4gb to 12gb?

OP
G
Reaction score
WOUCH!!! And unless my currency conversion is waaaay off, that's an expensive place to buy a Mac, and maybe more, but I hear that gas is sure cheap — or at least was. ;)
For example:
Computadoras iMac en Apple - MercadoLibre Argentina

Believe me Gas is not cheap here in Argentina either, we have inflation at the moment for 6th year non-stop and gas price increases about 40% yearly so cost of living.

You can get "latest" iMac 27" at $5,500 (US dollars)
this is in Apple store

iMac 27" Intel Core i5 3.4GHz Quad-Core / 8GB DDR3 / 1TB | MacStore Toolkit

The price is in Pesos ($), you have to divide per 10 to get the price in US dollars.

It is LAME. End of this year we have to vote, so we hope this corrupt government go away...and get prison.

Last edited:
OP
G
Reaction score
There are 4 "Late 2009" 27" iMacs. Two of them are core 2 duo based…and two are "i" CPU based.

- The core 2 duo models have a max. ram of 16gig.
- The "i" CPU based models have a max. ram of 32gig.

OP mentioned in post #1 that their 27" iMac has Radeon 4670 video hardware…which corresponds to a one of the core 2 duo models. Which means it has a 16gig of ram max.

- Nick

Thanks, yes, that's what I'm gonna do. Apple's salesman told me it won't worth to expand RAM memory..... of course he wanted me to purchase a new brand iMac.... so... $5,500 compared to $300 (8gb 1066ghz - which is also very expensive) I will go for the moment with this second option.

Thanks all for your quick response.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Sorry about the gas prices mixup, I got my South American countries mixed up. I was thinking Venezuela by mistake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks, yes, that's what I'm gonna do. Apple's salesman told me it won't worth to expand RAM memory..... of course he wanted me to purchase a new brand iMac.... so... $5,500 compared to $300 (8gb 1066ghz - which is also very expensive) I will go for the moment with this second option.

Thanks all for your quick response.

That sounds super expensive for 4GB x 2 chips or are you held ransom as to where you can purchase it, and excess duty etc.?

Or maybe even purchase it via a local Canadian store??? ;)
Canada RAM sells memory in Canada - Apple Macintosh iMac intel Core2Duo, CoreDuo 17", 20" and 24"

OP
G
Reaction score
That sounds super expensive for 4GB x 2 chips or are you held ransom as to where you can purchase it, and excess duty etc.?

Or maybe even purchase it via a local Canadian store??? ;)
Canada RAM sells memory in Canada - Apple Macintosh iMac intel Core2Duo, CoreDuo 17", 20" and 24"

yes, we paid about twice or triple any imported product, we are the stupidest ppl in the world, this is consequence of a corrupt government.

Purchasing something on the net won't solve the problem, due the product might be stopped on the port and won't enter until the government allow it. So purchasing it on Canada won't be the solution, but maybe if you have a friend you can sometimes ask to bring something.

Unfortunately not too many options to choose from, either spend $5,500 in a new brand iMac or $300 to expand my iMac to 12gb. I know it is LAME, it is ARGENTINA.

Best of luck and thanks all for your advices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.