Preview Password Not Working on Document??

Reaction score
I have a password protected document that opens up in "Preview." When I enter the password to view the document it works. When I want to print it, however, it re-asks for the password, but the same password does not work. I'm really confused by this. I'm not aware of a second password, but if there is one is there any way to reset it? Any tips? Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of document is it? Opening it with Preview indicates that it may be a PDF document.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the document was originally in another format, say for example a Word document, and it was locked, but it was printed to PDF, you can run into that problem. Do you know if this particular document was created as PDF or as I indicated?

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi again, I didn't create the file, it was sent to me and I created a password to access it (but the password isn't accepted when they ask me to re-enter it for printing). There is some info written in the document, though. It says that it's format is "CDA." They also mention "XDMFormat." I hope this helps! So confusing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The document was probably previously locked in that case. Your assigning a password only allows you access to the document for viewing and editing. You need to find out from whomever sent you the document if they had it locked at one time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.