Refurbished Mac needs new admin password

Reaction score
I got a refurbished Mac laptop from what I was told was a reputable site. Sadly, I cannot update any software because it wants a password for the administrator account. The account is user, but I cannot guess the password. The OS is 10.5.8. Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Firstly. The only seller of "refurbished" computers that I 100% trust is Apple. Other sellers of "refurbished" Apple computers a,oct never state what exactly their refurbishing process is…and thus what they're selling are "used" computers. Also…I don't believe I've come across any business seller of refurbished Apple computers that includes a 12 month warranty against defects like Apple does.

So what I'm saying is…this was a used computer…and the refurbished part is dubious. Which seems to be proven by the troubles mentioned. This is not your fault…this is just a long time "beef" I've had with any seller (other than Apple) claiming to be selling "refurbished" Apple products.

As far as what to do about it…I have two suggestions:

1. Try reinstalling the OS…by erasing the HD, reformatting the HD, and then doing a fresh OS install. I'm going to guess you really don't want to be running a really old OS version like 10.5.8. So purchase yourself an OS 10.6 OS install DVD. Then update the computer further to 10.7, 10.8, or 10.10. Depending how far you want to go or as high as the computer supports.

2. If you're unhappy with the computer due to the issue mentioned. Return it!

HTH,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks. I really would like to just be able to upgrade the software without spending more money. If I can't find a solution that works, I'll send the thing back. But then I have to look for another affordable laptop. Sigh.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks. I really would like to just be able to upgrade the software without spending more money.

An OS 10.6 install DVD costs $19.99. You need OS 10.6 to upgrade further…since this provides you access to the Mac App Store.

If you erase & reformat the HD with the 10.6 disc…then do a fresh install of 10.6…this should solve the password problem.

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

p.s. It may also help us with this conversation if you told us the exact model laptop you purchased.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
After you achiee this then consider upgrading. Yosemite, OS X.10, the latest operatingnsystem is free of charge and available from the App Store which you will have after installing OS X.6 and updatingto OS X.6.8. You have not supplied computer details so not 100% that route will be open to you.

And as Nick says, if it did not come from Apple, it is a second hand unit sold by a dealer. Running such an old system as Leopard, which came out almost nine years ago, one wonders how old the machine actually is.

Shame you did not ask before buying. Most experienced users here would have suggested nothing early than say 2011/2012.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And if this is a "reputable" dealer, then they will have a default password they assign to all new OS installations that should be easy to get with a simple email to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Whenever buying a used computer, do a format and erase of the hard drive and a cleaninstall of the operating system using your own passwords etc. Make sure you have a copy of the latest/chosen operating system downloaded from the App Store and burnt onto a bootable USB thumb drive. Using someone else's passwords etc is like riding a camel at high speed ~ very difficult to stay seated!

Reaction score
similar problem MacBook Air

I have a very similar problem, got a MacBook Air 11.6 1.6GHz 2GB 64GB SSD MC968LL/A OS X version 10.7
Seems they didn’t do much with the MacBook since the old owner account still active and of course, I don’t have his password.
The unit doesn’t have a CD drive. I need help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
You need to get a friend to make you a USB thumb drive installer, then erase the drive and install the new OS.

(PS - in the future, start a new thread rather than tag onto a one-year old thread. You'll get better answers.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have a very similar problem, got a MacBook Air 11.6 1.6GHz 2GB 64GB SSD MC968LL/A OS X version 10.7

Well a lot changed from 10.5 to 11.6.1 you seem to be using and probably the best and easiest method to use would be the "restore" method if it works:

Use Recovery Mode

A final option for resetting your password is to use Apple’s recovery tools. This will perhaps be the easiest approach in most cases, and can be done with the following procedure:

Reboot into Recovery mode or Internet Recovery by holding Command-R at startup.
Choose Terminal in the Utilities menu.
Enter resetpassword (all one word, and lowercase) in the Terminal window and press Return.
Select your boot drive in the utility that appears.
Choose your user account from the pop-up menu.
Click the button to reset the account’s password and supply a new one when prompted.

For this and more and other methods, see:
https://www.macworld.com/article/2868032/what-to-do-if-your-mac-refuses-to-accept-your-password.html

EDIT:
Opps… I just noticed you said "11.6.1" which doesn't exist yet, so you need to confirm of just try the Recovery method any way as it might oy might not be installed depending on the OS X version that's installed.

The normally invisible "Recover HD" partition only gets installed with Mac OS X 10.7.x Lion and later OS X versions.

PS: Some Macs need to use the option key depressed when booting to access it, and if command + R doesn't work.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You need to get a friend to make you a USB thumb drive installer, then erase the drive and install the new OS.
… …

Not really necessary I'd say. :eek:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.