Apple Cinema Displays

Reaction score
hey all i have a couple of apple cinema displays i picked up at work that was sitting next to the dumpster, they are a 20inch and a 17inch and are from about 2003-2004, my question is are they any good? are they worth anything? or should i just trash them, also i do not know if they work because of the connector they use

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Your problem I think is thatbthey will have Apple Direct Connect which was Apple's exclusive connection, with the one cord having what looks like a DVI connection, that carried power, picture, sound and USB to the displays. ADC friendly graphic cards have not been available since that period, the G4 PowerMacs series.

It was possible to purchase a mains power adapter, DVI/ADC, whch was a huge, beast of a thing. Last time I had one it exploded in about 2012.

This what what they were 1. Mains to adapter unit. 2. Adapter. 3. DVI connection cable to ADC. 4. USB cable from adapter unit. Lots of folks thought it was a simple matter of a to ended cable, but of course you had to get mains power to the unit.

They are still about as you can see on eBay:-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-App...apter-Model-A1006-w-Power-Cable-/291486243507

And this is the ADC/DVI without power and will not work:-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-monit...-pin-Female-Power-Mac-connector-/151708274166

Last edited:
OP
L
Reaction score
Your problem I think is thatbthey will have Apple Direct Connect which was Apple's exclusive connection, with the one cord having what looks like a DVI connection, that carried power, picture, sound and USB to the displays. ADC friendly graphic cards have not been available since that period, the G4 PowerMacs series.

It was possible to purchase a mains power adapter, DVI/ADC, whch was a huge, beast of a thing. Last time I had one it exploded in about 2012.

This what what they were 1. Mains to adapter unit. 2. Adapter. 3. DVI connection cable to ADC. 4. USB cable from adapter unit. Lots of folks thought it was a simple matter of a to ended cable, but of course you had to get mains power to the unit.

They are still about as you can see on eBay:-

Genuine Apple DVI to ADC Display Adapter Model A1006 w Power Cable | eBay

And this is the ADC/DVI without power and will not work:-

Apple Monitor Adapter ADC to DVI 30 Male to DVI24 Pin Female Power Mac Connector | eBay

i will keep my eye out for an adapter i found one already untested for about 40 with free shipping

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i will keep my eye out for an adapter i found one already untested for about 40 with free shipping

FYI. You can buy more modern used 17" and 20" monitors on Craig's List for less than $40 dollars.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
FYI. You can buy more modern used 17" and 20" monitors on Craig's List for less than $40 dollars.

- Nick

eh i got them for free so im just trying to figure out what to do with them, i doubt i would use them myself

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Honestly, it's probably not worth the effort to get 10+ year old monitors to work if it takes more than simply plugging them in.

OP
L
Reaction score
Honestly, it's probably not worth the effort to get 10+ year old monitors to work if it takes more than simply plugging them in.

true though if apple hadnt used this wonky design for a cable, since it would probably be best to junk them i think i will just try to hack in a dvi cable and power and see what happens, might make a fun project

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eh i got them for free so im just trying to figure out what to do with them, i doubt i would use them myself

Just place them on eBay as untested. If you were able to test them that would be better. But without the proper Mac to test with…you just have to sell them untested.

Since you got them for free. Even if you only get $5 bucks each for them…that's more than you paid for them.;)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Just place them on eBay as untested. If you were able to test them that would be better. But without the proper Mac to test with…you just have to sell them untested.

Since you got them for free. Even if you only get $5 bucks each for them…that's more than you paid for them.;)

- Nick

yeah thats a better idea, could put the money towards fixing that 27" imac i got which i will be asking something else about it soon

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah thats a better idea, could put the money towards fixing that 27" imac i got which i will be asking something else about it soon

I forgot about that. Thanks for "connecting the dots" for me!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Luke consider if the IT department is chucking them, whatever they be, not really a viable proposition spending money on them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Those old apple cinema displays and possibly getting them running reminds me of an old car a friend's son was given about twenty years ago, and now finally restored and running, and probably a good $30,000.00 - $40,000.00 or more spent to get it there. :p ;)

At least I've still got a running MDD G4 that could run them, if they even work, but they're old technology and even the same with an old similar Apple Studio Display I've got, it's pretty pathetic these days for what they can deliver.

OP
L
Reaction score
Luke consider if the IT department is chucking them, whatever they be, not really a viable proposition spending money on them.

we're not the ones doing it, i do believe i know which department threw these out, but the departments at the hospital throw old computers away all the time not much apple stuff mostly pc's that i some times salvage and give away or sell

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.