Music from audio cassettes to iMac

Reaction score
I want to transfer music from my audio cassettes to my OS X iMac. I saw a video on youtube where someone plugged his tape deck into a macbook and it seemed fairly simple. Is there something similar that can be done with iMac that a non-techie old guy can follow?

C

chas_m

Yes, but don't do what the video suggested and plug an analog tape deck into the headphone/mic jack -- that's a GREAT way to blow out the audio chip, which would be an expensive repair. Instead, get an analog-to-USB converter like the iMic, which precludes the need for a pre-amp (which is what can cause the damage to the analog audio circuit in the headphone/mic jacks).

In my case, I needed an RCA to ⅛-inch stereo adapter to plug into the iMic, which then plugged into my USB port. I use Audio Hijack to capture, but you can use any sound-capturing program you want, including the free Audacity (as an example).

That's basically it, unless you want to edit the resulting audio file. Then you drag the audio file into iTunes.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks chas
Good information. I had previously bought a USB cassette capture from my local Best Buy which connects directly to the USB port, but when I connect it and play the tape I don't know where to find the music. Where is it stored?
bri.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It is not stored anywhere unless you are capturing the audio as it is playing. You'll need an app - a couple suggested above:

... I use Audio Hijack to capture, but you can use any sound-capturing program you want, including the free Audacity (as an example).

That's basically it, unless you want to edit the resulting audio file. Then you drag the audio file into iTunes.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you, sir.
Now I have audacity. Once I figure out how to use it, I'm sure it will work just fine

Reaction score
This is an old thread, but this is what I'm trying to do.

I have connected the line out from an older stereo cassette deck to the audio input on the back of my iMac. If I look at the sound settings in preferences, I can "see" the audio on the input panel (it stops when I pause the tape). But I am getting no audio out of the speakers.

Audio from browsers, Audirvana etc. is fine thru the speakers. I can't swear that the audio input jack on this iMac is good, but the fact that I can see the signal on the screen suggests to me that it is.

I thought I would post here in case someone has an idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have connected the line out from an older stereo cassette deck to the audio input on the back of my iMac.

It depends on what the output level is from the older stereo cassette deck and in most such cases, you would need at least a small preamp to get the signal level up enough to work with your Mac's input port.

The other methods is to use something like a Griffin iMic that acts as a preamp and also can use the USB connection. They work well or did, but haven't needed to use mine for quite a while now.

It and simpler devices should still be available but not sure where. Amazon, ebay????

EDIT:
Hey, right from the mothership still it seems:
https://griffintechnology.com/us/imic

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Thanks Patrick. I'm going to assume then that the output from the deck is not at a high enough level. I'll try the imic or something similar.

- Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Patrick. I'm going to assume then that the output from the deck is not at a high enough level. I'll try the imic or something similar.

- Ken

I'm guessing the same thing. And do you have the specs or maybe they're available on the 'net????

The outputs were, as I recall, either "Line level" or "Aux-level" on the out ports:
http://www.shure.com/americas/support/find-an-answer/mic-level-and-line-level-what-do-they-mean

The preamp (including the iMac) is needed to boost the signal so that a Mac can use it.

If you still have one close buy, Radio Shack stores used to carry a small pre-amp for just such a purpose, but probably cost about $50.00± these days.

But I'd go for the iMac as it can do far more for less price.

And did you read this bit at their site:
iMic shines as the essential tool for converting your vinyl LP and tape collection into MP3s and CDs. Digitizing records and tapes through iMic directly from your turntable or tape deck is super easy. Use your own favorite recording software, or use our software for free. For Mac users, we provide Final Vinyl as a free download. Final Vinyl is designed specifically for converting your vinyl collection to digital. It comes with advanced features such as waveform-based cue editing, and 10-band EQ, and even includes a special RIAA filter that properly equalizes LPs without having to connect your turntable to a pre-amp. For PC users, we suggest the popular open-source, full-featured recording application, Audacity. (Mac and Linux/Unix versions are also available.)
https://griffintechnology.com/us/imic

PS: It also used to come with a Y phonojacks splitter/adapter connector.

PPS: I have no connection with the company but I'm just a happy user and even have their old original model.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you still have one close buy, Radio Shack stores used to carry a small pre-amp for just such a purpose, but probably cost about $50.00± these days.

You're behind the times Patrick, Radio Shack filed for Chapter 11 (bankruptcy in the US) back in March of 2017. They have officially closed all their stores here in the Dallas - Fort Worth Area and that's notable since their Headquarters was in Fort Worth. (Tandy Corporation)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're behind the times Patrick, Radio Shack filed for Chapter 11 (bankruptcy in the US) back in March of 2017. They have officially closed all their stores here in the Dallas - Fort Worth Area and that's notable since their Headquarters was in Fort Worth. (Tandy Corporation)

I did say — "If you still have one close buy,…"

But I really don't and can't keep up with all the current events or your American retailer stores or chains goings on… and it's hard enough trying to keep track of any stuff that happens down there for that matter… and especially politics…

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well now you know... and let's not get into politics. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well now you know... and let's not get into politics. ;)
They have officially closed all their stores here in the Dallas - Fort Worth Area and that's notable since their Headquarters was in Fort Worth. (Tandy Corporation)

Well that's too bad but they seemed to have only closed down 200 stores but still have 1,300 still operating it seems.

Unfortunately the Canadian branch stores either folded years ago or changed to operate under "The Source" name which are nowhere near what the old Radio Shack sold and left a large void for the electronics hobbyist/builder.

Have any other stores filled the gap of the closed stores or is it another case of only on-line shopping??

I couldn't even find a decent and reasonably priced pair or replacement leads w/ probes for my multi-meter when I went looking a month or so ago.
The old Radio Shack stores here used a decent selection to choose from. Oh well… :|

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it's too bad they closed all the stores around here. I haven't found another local store that duplicates Radio Shack. We do have "Fry's" and the "Microcenter" stores here in our Dallas area but both are a pain to drive to with the traffic. You can look them up on line and see what they have. The "Fry's" store is as large as two super Walmarts put together and sells just about everything from small components to large home appliances. They're also an authorized Apple reseller.

Reaction score
Apparently the level of the tape deck line out is not my issue.

I connected the tape deck to a receiver - and then the headphone jack of the receiver to the line in on the iMac (I kept the volume way down).

Same thing - I can "see" the audio signal displayed on the Preferences > Sound > Input screen (level varies with the receiver volume control) - but there is no sound at the speakers..

<edit> I have an older iMac so I plugged into that as well. Same exact thing. So I think I am missing something obvious here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an older iMac so I plugged into that as well. Same exact thing. So I think I am missing something obvious here.

OK, let's have a look here and see if things look familiar and maybe help get things working:
How to connect your equipment
http://ttmanual.audacityteam.org/o/man/how_to_connect_your_equipment.html

And note: Special note:
Special note on connecting a tape deck

And PS:
What is your System Preferences > Sound > Output set to?
And try clicking each of the Balance and Output volume sliders and see what comes out.

And yes, do make sure the Mute selection hasn't been enabled/checked.

And add this to your reading if it will help:
https://www.macworld.com/article/2032882/converting-audio-tapes-to-digital-files.html

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I’m wondering if you need an application to ‘hear’ the audio. You might see the level in preferences but perhaps it won’t play it back through the system?

Many people like using audacity as it’s a free and pretty good audio program, (it’s possible that QuickTime can perform the same necessary function but audicity is great, and it’s free!

If it’s showing up on the levels in sys prefs but you’re not hearing it that would be my guess here.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think you are on the right track. I did this several years ago and ran into this issue IIRC. The problem that I ran into was OS X did not natively imply play thru functionality. That can make hearing something as you are recording it touchy unless the app being used employs play thru. Check Audacity's Preferences>Recording and look at the play through options.

These directions should be helpful. You can probably skip right to the Mac section

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Yeah I didn’t see an app like audacity or similar mentioned only sys prefs and I think plugging an audio source line in may not play through sys prefs without an app. I haven’t tested this but it makes sense to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.