power supply failed need advice

Reaction score
hey everyone, i currently work in the IT department at a large local hospital and there is a junk area where the various departments throw away old junk computers and stuff of that sort,

well yesterday i was going through the junk and came upon a 27inch mid 2011 imac with no hdd or ram or hdd caddy but i do have ram for it right now,

but it will not power on, i showed it to our mac guy and he says the power supply is dead which makes sense, however i am having a hard time finding a replacement,

most of the ones i do find are for a 2009-2010 27inch imac and i doubt it would work, but does anyone know where i can find one for a good price or am i out of luck?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...but does anyone know where i can find one for a good price or am i out of luck?

How about we try to just find a replacement first…THEN worry about price!;)

Mac-Forums is a world-wide forum. You didnt mention your location…so I don't know if what I'm going to suggest will be applicable to you.

Try going to Powerbookmedic.com. See if they have what you need…and if the price is acceptable. You can also take the part numbers you find at Powerbookmedic.com…then go to eBay…and see what you can find. You should be able to find solutions at both places. You just need to decide what's an acceptable price.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
How about we try to just find a replacement first…THEN worry about price!;)

Mac-Forums is a world-wide forum. You didnt mention your location…so I don't know if what I'm going to suggest will be applicable to you.

Try going to Powerbookmedic.com. See if they have what you need…and if the price is acceptable. You can also take the part numbers you find at Powerbookmedic.com…then go to eBay…and see what you can find. You should be able to find solutions at both places. You just need to decide what's an acceptable price.

- Nick

i added my info to my profile or atleast i thought i did, im in the usa and i would like to find one under say $50 US dollars if possible, but the only ones in that price range are for the 2009-2010 models

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah thats more than what i want to spend

2011 iMac's are still fairly useful computers…especially since it's a 27" model. So prices for replacement power supplies aren't going to be dirt cheap. Mac's are not Windows computers…where replacement parts are dirt cheap…and easy to find.

To get a power supply (any Mac power supply) for under $50 bucks (or whatever price you're looking for)…this is probably doable on much older Mac's. For some Mac computers…a replacement power supply can cost $200+. So less than a $50 budget for a 2011 iMac replacement power supply is going to be difficult.

Your other option is to keep your eye on eBay…and try to find something used. But even used it may be difficult to find something for under $50. But you never know…you may get lucky.:)

If the budget is less than $50 for this power supply…then I guess this iMac may stay in the closet!:(

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
2011 iMac's are still fairly useful computers…especially since it's a 27" model. So prices for replacement power supplies aren't going to be dirt cheap. Mac's are not Windows computers…where replacement parts are dirt cheap…and easy to find.

To get a power supply (any Mac power supply) for under $50 bucks (or whatever price you're looking for)…this is probably doable on much older Mac's. For some Mac computers…a replacement power supply can cost $200+. So less than a $50 budget for a 2011 iMac replacement power supply is going to be difficult.

Your other option is to keep your eye on eBay…and try to find something used. But even used it may be difficult to find something for under $50. But you never know…you may get lucky.:)

If the budget is less than $50 for this power supply…then I guess this iMac may stay in the closet!:(

- Nick

i have the power supply out and was comparing it to one on ebay for a 2009-2010 model and except for where some caps were they were identical, do you think it would hurt to buy one and see if it works? they are the same wattage, voltage etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be very, very careful. The wattage of the 2009 is 365w, and the mid 2011 310w. To confue you further should it possibly be a late 2011 it is 205w. Download a little application called Mactracker and get ball this information on all Mac models. A mid 2011 27" iMac will bring well over a grand on eBay etc so a cheap repair all in all.

Apple iMac 27” A1312 Mid 2011 3.4GHz Intel Core i7 12GB Ram 512GB SSD Yosemite

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have the power supply out and was comparing it to one on ebay for a 2009-2010 model and except for where some caps were they were identical, do you think it would hurt to buy one and see if it works? they are the same wattage, voltage etc

The right way to purchase replacement parts is using part numbers. Any other way can turn into a dangerous experiment (for the computer).

On the other hand…you could purchase it…compare the power supplies side by side (same size, shape, wiring, plug)…and compare the part numbers on both. But if they're not the same. What are you going to do with the part you bought?

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
The right way to purchase replacement parts is using part numbers. Any other way can turn into a dangerous experiment (for the computer).

On the other hand…you could purchase it…compare the power supplies side by side (same size, shape, wiring, plug)…and compare the part numbers on both. But if they're not the same. What are you going to do with the part you bought?

- Nick

resell it, also found this dont know how accurate it is though https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/iM...2309-2374-2390-or-2429-Power-Supply/IF174-000

Compatibility
Identify your Mac
All 27" iMacs with EMC No. 2309, 2374, 2390 or 2429 (Late 2009/Mid 2010/Mid 2011)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
resell it…

Reselling it is always an option…just a pain in the butt for some folks.

also found this dont know how accurate it is though

If that covers the iMac you're working with…then that's the info you were looking for.:) Nothing wrong with the info from ifixit.com. We recommend ifixit.com all the time.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I just thought I'd chime in and ask if the diagnosis is correct and before the power supply is replaced, and then the logic board and then the… in the cascading failures situation, and even before that, is that iMac covered by Apple's recall for the graphics card failures??? They fail to boot up interestingly when they fail it seems, so I'd do some checking first:
Apple opens graphics card replacement program for some mid-2011 iMacs | 9to5Mac
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203787

PS: I'm using a mid (late Sept purchase) 2011 27" iMac, but different graphics card used.

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just thought I'd chime in and ask if the diagnosis is correct and before the power supply is replaced...

Always a great thing to keep in mind (let's fix the right thing)!:)

OP mentioned that the computer will not power on. I'm assuming that this means pressing the power button gets "no life". Of course OP should confirm if this assumption is correct.:)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Always a great thing to keep in mind (let's fix the right thing)!:)

OP mentioned that the computer will not power on. I'm assuming that this means pressing the power button gets "no life". Of course OP should confirm if this assumption is correct.:)

- Nick

that is correct, nothing happens when i hit the power button, there is also no diagnostic led's lit though im sure that could also mean a bad logic board but then again no fans spin up or anything

EDIT also the graphics card is not covered under that

OP
L
Reaction score
quick question, i tried searching google images but couldnt find what im looking for, i do not have a hard drive in this imac and i am pretty sure i am missing other things related to the hard drive i am just not sure what, does anyone have any pictures of where the hdd goes or what parts are for it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For parts go to:

- Powerbookmedic.com (already mentioned in the thread)
- eBay (already mentioned)
- macsales.com

For the photos you're interested in…go to iFixit.com (already mentioned). They have an extensive repair procedure area with photos.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The ifixit.com site with their guides and pictures should provide some pretty accurate info.

OP
L
Reaction score
ok looks like i am only missing the metal bar that holds the hard drive in

EDIT how do i clean the screen itself? not the outside glass, whoever removed the hard drive touched bare screen leaving finger prints

OP
L
Reaction score
just got a power supply off of ebay for $37 with free shipping and it should be here sometime this week and when i get it i will let yall know how it goes and if a power supply from a 2010 27 inch imac works

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds good. Fingers crossed that the replacement power supply gets the computer up & running. Hopefully it doesn't have multiple issues. The replacement power supply is definitely a great place to start!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.