• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

OS X El Capitan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, what do you think of the name of the next version of OS X? I was a bit surprised at the name of "El Capitan".

And for our friends around the world... El Capitan is located in Yosemite National Park, California.

El Capitan

Looks like we're still in Yosemite. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I was waiting for him to finish a punch line but it never came. :(

How profound — "…from within…". Pretty lame personally… :Sleeping:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I can see what Apple is trying to do with the new OS naming scheme (environment focus, being green, "outdoorsy", physical fitness, California, etc.). But to be honest…Apple should have stuck with the well established "Cat Names".:)

Seems to me someone at Apple (ahem…possibly Tim Cook);)…is trying to make their mark on how newer OS versions are named (in a post Steve Jobs world)!;)

Just my crazy personal opinion of course!;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Here in California we have no water so no more green! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here in California we have no water so no more green! :D

Saving water is supposed to be "green"…even though nothing will look "green"!;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hahahahhaha!

Not sure what I think of the new OSX yet. I have this feeling though that every Mac I own will no longer run it! Time will tell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Sorry, but to us older Brits this sounds too much like the Goon's Bluebottle's exclamation "I heard you call me, my Capitaine"

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The name makes sense if it's meant to be a refinement of Yosemite. The way I see it, El Capitan is a part of Yosemite as Snow Leopard is part of the Leopard family.

Nothing there was hugely exciting except for the fact that Apple has realized that public transit support is important.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Lots of the features in the new OS look interesting. Though for the most part they are refinements of existing features. Several of the window management changes are cool, needed, and overdue but seem to be adaptations of third party software

I didn't see any discussion of system requirements. Hope my current Mac holds up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems that they're actually attempting to get the OS X improved as they did with Snow Leopard, but maybe, except possibly exempting some programmers, they should just drop any naming convention and stick to the OS X version number.

Quick, who can recite all the OS X names in their release order and no hesitation or pausing allowed… ;) :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest…I hope that the new OS (El Capitan) does have some stiffer system requirements (even if some or all of my day to day Mac's don't meet the requirements). Apple has tried for too long to make the newest OS versions backward compatible with too many older models.

By doing this…the OS really doesn't "move forward"…because the new OS version is "dumbed-down" so much so that older (less powerful) hardware can run it. New OS versions that have REALLY offered REAL advances…almost always require more "horsepower". Sure of course. A new OS version should be backwards compatible with at least a few years worth of computer models. But I think that it's getting out of hand when the latest OS version in 2015 (Yosemite) is still compatible with computer models all the way back to 2007!

If someone at Apple said…"Let's design a newer more revolutionary version of the Mac OS that requires the computing horsepower of computers from 2011 and newer." If this were done…I bet that we would see some REALLY COOL stuff!!!:)

For me as a long time Mac User. These sort-of annual OS releases…and lackluster improvements...have taken a lot of the excitement out of upgrading to a new OS version. The last OS version release that I found even "semi-exciting"…was going from OS 10.5 to 10.6. Most of the excitement of this OS release was that it would took up about half the HD space as 10.5…and it was the first OS version to get rid of all the PPC code…thus it would run better & faster on Intel based Mac's. Probably other features too.

For me. OS releases 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, and 10.10 have all been "lackluster". To be honest…OS 10.7 & 10.8 could have been updates to Snow Leopard. And had OS version numbers of 10.6.9 and 10.6.10. Mavericks & Yosemite have made some forward progress..and these could have been versions of 10.7. And thus the upcoming OS release (El Capitan)…could be OS 10.8.

Apple is just trying to make the backward compatibility of new OS versions go too far back.

Sure…free is nice.:) But at some point we need to move forward…take more advantage of abilities/horsepower of newer computer models…and give us something to REALLY get excited about!:)

- Nick

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For PM-R

Developer Preview
Public Beta "Kodiak"
Cheetah
Puma
Jaguar
Panther
Tiger
Leopard
Snow Leopard
Lion
Mountain Lion
Mavericks
Yosemite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dennis,
But I just mentioned naming the OS X in order as a tongue-in-cheek remark. ;)

But you did well, and some may be interested and probably many others never knew.

Patrick
-----------

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dennis,
But I just mentioned naming the OS X in order as a tongue-in-cheek remark. ;)

But you did well, and some may be interested and probably many others never knew.

Patrick
-----------

Knew that but like you said felt it might help others in the future with that question. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I preferred cat names personally. I'm still at 10.9.5 and will hang out here for a bit anyhow. As with any operating system it will interesting to see how much of the new OS is stuff I would like to have, how much fixes what is needed, how much removes what I like, and how much is stuff I don't care about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I wanted to go back to the big cats and Cougar but Hollywood stitched that one up and OS X version have each had names.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well to me, its just another piece of BIG Rock !! lol ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Lots of the features in the new OS look interesting. Though for the most part they are refinements of existing features. Several of the window management changes are cool, needed, and overdue but seem to be adaptations of third party software

I didn't see any discussion of system requirements. Hope my current Mac holds up.

If it can run Yosemite, it can run El Capitan. Geez... I just can't type that with a straight face.

If your Mac or iThing runs Yosemite or iOS 8, it can run El Capitan and iOS 9 | Ars Technica

C

chas_m

I can see what Apple is trying to do with the new OS naming scheme (environment focus, being green, "outdoorsy", physical fitness, California, etc.). But to be honest…Apple should have stuck with the well established "Cat Names".:)

Nick, you must know that Apple was OUT of viable big cat names! There really wasn't an option when you're only down to to OS X Ocelot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If someone at Apple said…"Let's design a newer more revolutionary version of the Mac OS that requires the computing horsepower of computers from 2011 and newer." If this were done…I bet that we would see some REALLY COOL stuff!!!:)

For me as a long time Mac User. These sort-of annual OS releases…and lackluster improvements...have taken a lot of the excitement out of upgrading to a new OS version. The last OS version release that I found even "semi-exciting"…was going from OS 10.5 to 10.6. Most of the excitement of this OS release was that it would took up about half the HD space as 10.5…and it was the first OS version to get rid of all the PPC code…thus it would run better & faster on Intel based Mac's. Probably other features too.

For me. OS releases 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, and 10.10 have all been "lackluster". To be honest…OS 10.7 & 10.8 could have been updates to Snow Leopard. And had OS version numbers of 10.6.9 and 10.6.10. Mavericks & Yosemite have made some forward progress..and these could have been versions of 10.7. And thus the upcoming OS release (El Capitan)…could be OS 10.8.

Apple is just trying to make the backward compatibility of new OS versions go too far back.

Sure…free is nice.:) But at some point we need to move forward…take more advantage of abilities/horsepower of newer computer models…and give us something to REALLY get excited about!:)

- Nick

I tend to agree Nick. There really wasnt much about h hmmmm "El Capitan" that i was WOW about. I thought to myself, sitting up at 1am, this is crap, why the heck did i wait up for this. Sure there is some new Features, but still there was nothing groundbreaking, (though I am 100% sure vansmith would be happy to here about Transit ~ long time coming) and they spent little to no time on, Performance and making sure that the System is stable, espicially iCloud.

This is what i wanted to see, and would have gotten excited about. If Tim had of said, this is a incremental update, to Stabilise OS X and make icloud work ALL the time, i would have been excited.
Now iOS was a different Story, and its about time that they made iOS a true Mulittasker.

What i saw, was a Business more worried about how many people took up the newer OS X and iOS, with the simple graphicals, and even the dig at Windows and Android. This says to me, they are more concerned with Numbers than bringing anything BIG to us.
Granted, as we move further into the future, is going to be the Hardware that will need improving, for them to bring the Software side of it into the 22nd Century. Meaning, ATM I think they are in a lull, where they cant really make huge improvements or bring new features to the PC, until the Hardware catches up . . .

But to me, Tim was talking Numbers, and this pissed me off to be honest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.