• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

OS X El Capitan

C

chas_m

For me as a long time Mac User. These sort-of annual OS releases…and lackluster improvements...have taken a lot of the excitement out of upgrading to a new OS version. The last OS version release that I found even "semi-exciting"…was going from OS 10.5 to 10.6.

Now that's funny ... here I thought the purpose of an OS upgrade was to add capability, fix bugs and refine existing features ... when in fact, you seem to think its to entertain and "excite" you!

Call me old, but a release that makes everything I have run better is plenty entertaining/exciting for me ...

I think the real "issue" you might be facing is the simple fact that OS X is fairly well mature and isn't going to offer any "jaw-dropping, OMG" features after more than 15 years of development. What I've found for the most part is that most OS X releases just improve on, and build on, what came before ... with the occasional new feature and the occasional misstep. Reminds me of life. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Bobcat, Caracal, Serval, Saber Tooth, etc...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I found Mountain Lion a very impressive upgrade. Lion was interesting but with ML they to me really brought it all home.

Snow Leopard was another that blew me away as was Tiger and Leopard.

Even old Jaguar impressed the socks off me! :D

Mavericks left me cold at first but now with Yosemite 10.10.3 and soon .4 it's a very nice and mature OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Now that's funny ... here I thought the purpose of an OS upgrade was to add capability, fix bugs and refine existing features ... when in fact, you seem to think its to entertain and "excite" you!

Yet, it excites you ?? ;)

Call me old, but a release that makes everything I have run better is plenty entertaining/exciting for me ...

C

chas_m

Bobcat, Caracal, Serval, Saber Tooth, etc...

Apart from one of them being extinct, the other problem, of course, is that not a one of these are big cats (well, living big cats). Bobcat, Ocelot, Lynx Caracel, Serval and others are SMALL wild cats, not BIG cats. The official list of big cats (variations, such as clouded leopard, omitted):

•Leopard
•Cheetah
•Lion
•Cougar
•Jaguar
•Mountain Lion
•Panther
•Puma
•Snow Leopard (included only because Apple used it -- not an official subspecies of leopard, but closely related)
•Tiger

And I think you'll find that these were all used in various releases of OS X.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...you seem to think its to entertain and "excite" you!

Sorry chas...you're wrong! You chose to define the word "exite" for me...when I myself did not exactly define it. So the chances of you correctly defining what I mean by "excite" of course was very low.

And of course you chose to not "pay attention to detail". If you read my post carefully...I said that probably the last OS release that I found contained any real excitement for me was 10.6. And what were the two tings I mentioned about 10.6:

- That 10.6 only took about 50% of the hard drive space that 10.5 did.
- That 10.6 stripped out all of the PPC code that was in 10.5 (so 10.6 was an "Intel Only" OS).

These two things are clearly not OS details that are "entertaining"!

- Nick

C

chas_m

I made no attempt to define exciting ... you're the one who mentioned that recent releases don't "excite" you. I simply said that the purpose of OS X releases isn't to "excite" you, it's to make the OS better.

I fear you are the one who's chose to "define" what you think I "meant" rather than what I actually said ...

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can see that this thread is becoming more exciting by the minute! O:) :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, you must know that Apple was OUT of viable big cat names! There really wasn't an option when you're only down to to OS X Ocelot.

I'm not going to say that you're totally out in left feild on this one. But I bet the "creative juices" in Cupertino could have come up with somehting if they really wanted to.:)

And if we really wanted to get technical. Cougar, Puma, and Mountain Lion are actually synonymous terms (same cat).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Apart from one of them being extinct, the other problem, of course, is that not a one of these are big cats (well, living big cats). Bobcat, Ocelot, Lynx Caracel, Serval and others are SMALL wild cats, not BIG cats.

Meh, they are all wild cats. Personally, I'd take wild cats over places in California. Makes more sense to me at any rate. And, who cares if one is extinct?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I made no attempt to define exciting ...

Of course you did. You said this in your earlier post:

... when in fact, you seem to think its to entertain and "excite" you!

You clearly said in that post that for me..."excite" = "entertain".

Let me just say this chas. You stepped over the line. It's not your place to critique or attack what other folks find exciting. Or attempt to define it for them. What you & I find exciting can and probably are completely different!

Keep the conversation positive..and state how YOU FEEL. WITHOUT feeling the need to tear down other folks thoughts!!! There's not a right or wrong answer on this topic.

You REALLY don't need to critique things for correctness...when there's really NOT a correct answer!!!

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tend to agree Nick. There really wasnt much about h hmmmm "El Capitan" that i was WOW about.

I guess to be 100% fair to Apple. "El Capitan" would be the 3rd OS name (Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan) since we've had the cat names.

Maybe back in 2002 when the 3rd "cat name" came out (Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar)...and if we were having this same conversation. Maybe a lot of us wouldn't be all that crazy about the cat names either.

So "El Capitan" may not seem all that exciting. Maybe Apple has a plan with these names...and we'll have to see where they go with it!;)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Oooookaaaaaay ... you don't think "exciting" things are "entertaining ..." interesting.

I appreciate the opportunity to learn more about the unique way your mind works, good sir. Here's to diversity!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oooookaaaaaay ... you don't think "exciting" things are "entertaining ..." interesting.

The problem chas is the SNARKY, unfriendly, unkind way you phrase thing's!!! Both quotes above not exactly in line with the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines.:(

No one attacked you prior to your first post in this thread...so why do you feel the need to come out punching as if you've been attacked??? Keep things friendly!

Now just call it quits...and let it go.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I guess to be 100% fair to Apple. "El Capitan" would be the 3rd OS name (Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan) since we've had the cat names.

Maybe back in 2002 when the 3rd "cat name" came out (Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar)...and if we were having this same conversation. Maybe a lot of us wouldn't be all that crazy about the cat names either.

So "El Capitan" may not seem all that exciting. Maybe Apple has a plan with these names...and we'll have to see where they go with it!;)

- Nick

In all fairness, I was talking more of the OS than a name. My post earlier, referenced the name, as being "just another bloody big rock to me" ;)

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In all fairness, I was talking more of the OS than a name. My post earlier, referenced the name, as being "just another bloody big rock to me" ;)

Ohh ok...I guess I got confused. I thought we were discussing "name excitement".;)

I'm holding off judgment on the actual merits of "El Capitan" until I actually get to play with it.:)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
(though I am 100% sure vansmith would be happy to here about Transit ~ long time coming)
You bet I am! And, it was nice to see Toronto on the small list of 10 non-Chinese cities getting support on day one.

What i saw, was a Business more worried about how many people took up the newer OS X and iOS, with the simple graphicals, and even the dig at Windows and Android.
This is getting really tiresome especially since much of the functionality noted today came from elsewhere (let's not pretend that multitasking on tablets and Apple's version of Aero Snap are original innovations here). You want to poke fun at other platforms inadequacies when it comes to adoption? Fine but then be prepared to defend why it is that you copy the functionality that different platforms have had for years. This sniping at other platforms and the problems that come with it apply elsewhere as well (I'm looking at you Microsoft and Google).

I think the real "issue" you might be facing is the simple fact that OS X is fairly well mature and isn't going to offer any "jaw-dropping, OMG" features after more than 15 years of development.
You better tell that to their marketing team who seem to think that everything they produce is the most exciting thing ever. And, let's not forget a post I made a few weeks back noting how excited you get by just about everything Apple does. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Meh, they are all wild cats. Personally, I'd take wild cats over places in California. Makes more sense to me at any rate. And, who cares if one is extinct?

Howsabout instead of places in California, they started using wildlife native to California. Better yet... species native only to California.

OS X Tule Elk
OS X Clapper Rail
OS X San Francisco Garter Snake
OS X California Newt

etc etc...
6 Cool Animals That Live Only in California | Guides | Rewild | KCET

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.